Dustin Stroh
Dustin Stroh,
Experience:  Owner at (Self) Personal Computer Pros)
105381830

I accidentally close a word document on my Mac without

Customer Question

I accidentally close a word document on my Mac without saving. Is there a way to recover the paper I was working on
JA: Which programs (name and version) are you experiencing this issue with?
Customer: Word
JA: If you open your Word document and go to File -> Revert To, do you get the option to "Browse All Versions"?
Customer: NO
JA: Anything else you want the Microsoft Office Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 3 days ago.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Dustin Stroh replied 3 days ago.

Hello my name is Dustin (20+ year expert). Welcome to Justanswer.com a paid Q&A tech site, it would be my pleasure to assist you today with the word document and recovering the unsaved version :)

May I ask which year of office you're using on your Mac?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I bought my Mac and Office package a year ago

Ok great there are some options to try to see if the auto save happened :)

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Great!

On the Mac it's A little more difficult than on the Windows machine and there are three different ways to do it. But this is probably the easiest way to do it on the Mac. :)

Step 1. Open "Finder" on your Mac, then head to "Go" > "Go to Folder".

Step 2. Type: ~/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.Word/Data/Library/Preferences/AutoRecovery and click "Go".

Step 3. Open the AutoRecovery folder, locate all the files that start with the words "AutoRecovery save of". Select the one you want to recover, rename the file, then add the ".doc" filename extension.

Step 4. Double-click the file. The document now opens in Word for Mac.

Step 5. Click the File menu and select "Save As"'. Type a new name for the file into the Name field, select a folder for the file and click the "Save" button.

If that doesn't work you can always check the temp folder as well by doing these steps:

Step 1. Go to "Applications" > "Utilities" and double-click "Terminal".

Step 2. In Terminal, enter open $TMPDIR and you will be directed to the TMP folder which is used to keep files temporarily.

Step 3. In the TMP folder, find and open the folder named "TemporaryItems". In it, right-click the desired unsaved Word files and "Open with..." Microsoft Word.

Step 4. Save the Word file by clicking on "File" > "Save As" and save it to another location.

Let me know if these work for you

~Dustin

Just in case you don't know how to right click on a mac :)

Right click on a Mac: press the Ctrl (or Control) key when you tap the mouse button, or the trackpad.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I am trying to find go in the finder
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I tried the second way already and was unsuccessful

Keyboard shortcut:

Command+Shift+G

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
There is nothing there
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Neither worked

Do you know if autosave is on and working...You would see a pop-up in the bottom every minute or so....

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I do not think so

The only other spot it might be..

Open "Trash" by clicking its icon on the dock.

Look for a folder labeled "Recovered items" and click into it to look for your unsaved Word file.

If autosave was not on, then it would not be keeping copies to go back and recover from unfortunately :(

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
It does not appear to be
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
How do I do autosave

On a Mac click on "Word" in the menu bar and click "preferences." This will open up the word preferences dialog box. Click on "save." A new save menu will open to allow you to specify how you want your Word docs to be auto saved.

Actually if you are Using the latest 365 office version it would be this way:

Word 2019/365: Enable or Disable AutoRecover Save

1. Open Word and select “File” > “Options“.
  2. Choose “Save” on the left pane.
  3. Uncheck the box for “Save AutoRecover information every x minutes” if you wish to disable the AutoRecover feature. Check the box to enable it. You can also set the length of time in between when Word saves AutoRecover data.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I already have autosave and allow background saves checked

Well it should have been saving then....

OK try this one to search the entire computer:

Step 1. Open a Finder window on your Mac.

Step 2. Select the entire computer as the location.

That will be searched and enter ‘AutoRecovery’ in the Search field. You will be presented with a list of files. It begins with “AutoRecovery save of” followed by the name of the Word document you are trying to recover.

Step 3. Double-click on the file to be recovered. This will open the file in Microsoft Word.

Step 4. Select the File menu and choose Save As. Pick a new name for the document and a folder in which it will be stored and click the Save button.

*fingers crossed :)

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Entire computer is not an option

Just select the hard drive

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Also not an option from finder

Search "this mac" from drop down.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I did that now what

Did it returned any results that did say auto recovery save of and then name of your Word document?

*return

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
NO

I am sorry it seems like the auto save was not functioning as it should have been then, As this is where they would be located if it was functioning correctly....:/

Did the last search show any auto recovery saved files?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
No

Will shoot that shows to me that even though auto recovery was enabled it was obviously not saving the files. In a case like this I would uninstall and reinstall the office suite and make sure that this feature is working as it should work. Sorry I don't have a better answer for you but searching the entire computer shows all files if they were auto save anywhere on the computer...

You're not running any other type of other backup like Time Machine or carbonite or Idrive...All online backups...were you

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Time machine appears to be doing something but I do not know how it works

The issue with time machine is that its going to back up files that were saved...:( Would only be good if you had another copy saved...it's not going to saved temp files.....sorry to tell you that....

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Well looks like I have 4 hours to redo all of this work

That is really weird that it's enabled but not found on the entire Mac...nor any autosaves....makes me think the office install is a little corrupt.

I am sorry those are pretty much all the options to try....