Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office questions? Ask an IT Expert for support ASAP

Software: I created hyperlinks inside a PowerPoint document…

Customer Question
Software: I created hyperlinks inside a...
Software:
I created hyperlinks inside a PowerPoint document which mostly are linked to documents in a folder on a local server.
I am using PowerPoint 2016.
Some users are able to open the links. Other users are not able to open the links.
1. Office 365 user is able to open
2. PowerPoint 2010 users cannot openSo, I saved the document as a “PowerPoint 97-2003 Presentation”.The scenario remains the same for the 2010 users. Not able to open.How can I make the links work?Thanks
Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Microsoft Office
5/31/2018
Microsoft Office Technician: Richard, Software Specialist replied 25 days ago
Richard, Software Specialist

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

When they cannot open the link, what is the error they get?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
No error
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Just cannot access the link

Okease detail exactly what happens when they use it

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Ok
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
pptx version: “cell range” error appears on embedded chart

Sorry I just do not have the information I would need to troubleshoot this for you, I will opt out for another expert that may have other ideas

Thank you

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Ok thanks.
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I was not finished describing. I had more information to share but was interrupted
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Hopefully new expert will appear shortly.
Microsoft Office Technician: bbao, IT Consultant replied 25 days ago
bbao
bbao, IT Consultant

Can you please simply upload the PowerPoint slides for review? Or request remoet assistance so I can troubleshoot it directly on your computer? Thanks.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I am at work. I think there will be a problem with security.
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Let me ask you this: why would I get a “cell range” error on an excel chart embedded in a PowerPoint document?
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Are you familiar with the “CELL RANGE” error? I was wrong in saying there is no error. That is in fact an error. However...
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
When I saved as “PowerPoint 97-2003 Presentation” the cell range error went away.
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
technically that probelm is solved and there is no error at this time. But, I suspect it is related.
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Now, the hyperlinks don’t work. That problem continues.The question is:
Why would the links work on Office365 but not on Office2010
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
1. Create a spreadsheet and chart in Excel
2. Copy and format paste into PowerPoint 2016
3. Add hyperlinks to a local server inside the embedded document
4. Save as 97-2003 presentation
5. Email to multiple users
6. 365 users ok
2010 users cannot open hyperlinks. When they hover over the links and press CTRL no “selection hand” appears. The link is non-functioning at that point

> Are you familiar with the “CELL RANGE” error? I

There are heaps of reasons for PowerPiont/Excel to such a error. Can you please show a screenshot of the error or upload the workbook for review?

> Why would the links work on Office365 but not on Office2010

Can I know why chose 97-2003 format for 2010 users?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I will upload a file
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I chose 97-2003 because it was suggested by someone else.
I guessed maybe forward compatibility better than reverse.
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
On my part I made an assumption and took the advice
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7uwvp38flmzj66x/Upload%20Version.ppt?dl=0
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Link uploaded for the document
Thanks sharing the PowerPoint file. Will review it once arrive at my destination. boarding.
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Is this string working?
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Taking too long
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Please send this to someone else.
Microsoft Office Technician: hongkongpom, Computer Support Specialist replied 25 days ago
hongkongpom
hongkongpom, Computer Support Specialist

Hello I am another Expert. There is a bug in Office 2010 causing this problem.

There is a forum that discusses this click me

Unfortunately your only option is to upgrade those computers using 2010. As a test you can upgrade one with a newer version to prove this.

This is why 365 works because it is uses 2016.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Really?!
Thank you very much. I really needed that information.Well-
1. I create the actual file in Excel
2. I paste it (formatting) into PowerPoint
3. THEN I add the hyperlinks.Is there another medium that might work? What if I left the file in Excel? Problem is, I don’t want my excel formulas readily accessible.
Also, if I password ***** the file; that will create a discussion I don’t want.
But maybe that is a moot point. Maybe I would have the same compatibility problem in Excel also?
Is there alternative software or something in Office that would make the sharing of the links feasible?
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
The “click me” page appears to suggest there is a solution. In fact, I got rid of the CELL RANGE issue by saving as 2003-2007 PowerPoint ppt doc or something like that.CELLRANGE is bot the issue. The problem is the hyperlinks.

Hello on the click me page you can reveal the solution after a few seconds which backs up what I told you about the bug in 2010

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
but that is about CELLRANGE. I do not have that problem. That is a different problem.
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
My problem is the hyperlinks
Microsoft Office Technician: hongkongpom, Computer Support Specialist replied 24 days ago

Hello your reply above is ".pptx version: “cell range” error appears on embedded chart"

Please try upgrading one of the computers with 2010 as suggested thank you

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Also says:
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
thanks for the CELLRANGE “help”???What about the hyperlink problem?

Please upgrade one of the computers with 2010 & you'll see it fixes the problem thank you

It's not a permissions or routing issue

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Ok thank you

Please report back your results with the one computer upgrade thank you