NewITZone
NewITZone, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  I have been using Office Pro for 10 years and implemented applications for business use.
53509759

I've had word 2016 for nearly a year and it is, quite

Customer Question

I've had word 2016 for nearly a year and it is, quite simply, incompatible with dragon software. I do not believe this is the fault of dragon because I had zero issues with word 2007. Thinking it may be dragon, I've tried version 13 and now have the new dragon 15. I have had dragon tech support look into this about 6 times with no fixing the problem.
JA: When did you last update your Word?
Customer: Update word?
JA: Anything else you want the Software Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  bbao replied 7 months ago.
What do you mean about the dragon software? Firefox browser?
Are you using a copy of Windows 10 upgraded from Windows 7 or an earlier version?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
windows 10 upgraded from 7. What I mean about dragon is exactly what I said. Firefox browser has nothing to do with it. I do not use firefox, but dragon works fine in browsers, though I rarely use it for that. I'm talking about using dragon with MS word 2016. Word crashes regularly as does dragon itself. Dictation itself does not work properly either. This has nothing to do with proper mic placement or anything of the sort. I was using dragon version 13 with office/word 2007 and everything worked 100%. I upgraded to windows 10 and shortly thereafter upgraded to office 2016, and dragon then began behaving erratically. After discussing the problem with dragon support, they recommended upgrading from v 13 to 15, which I did, but this was just a sales pitch as the problem persisted. A few weeks later they gave me a patch, which did not solve problem either.I think that I may have found the problem, though. Shortly after seeking help from this service, I ran across a suggestion from a man on-line. He suggested running dragon software in compatibility mode for windows 7. This I never knew about or realized. I've only been experimenting with this for less than a day, so cannot assess the outcome. Any other suggestions you have would be helpful.
Expert:  bbao replied 7 months ago.
I see, you are actually referring to Dragon NaturallySpeaking, one of the best-selling speech recognition software available from Nuance https://www.nuance.com. Correct?If yes, as per the spec info from their official site, both version 13 and 15 are compatible with Windows 10 hence there is no need to change compatibility for W7, except your licensed version is older than 13. What’s your version?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Version 15 - I previously stated that I upgraded, including a follow up patch a few weeks later. I fully realize they are compatible with Windows 10. Then what's the problem? I see that many other dragon users are having the same problem. Windows crashing, cursor jumping all over the page by itself. One gentleman suggests that dragon & word are both aware of the problem are are blaming the problem on each other. The fact that dragon sent me a patch to correct glitches incurred between word 2016 & dragon indicates that they are aware of a problem.
Expert:  bbao replied 7 months ago.
If the issue only occurs with Word or Office applications, I would speculate it is related to Word/Office add-on for Dragon, then the key concern is 32/64-bit compatibility. The most common issue or mistake when installing Office and related add-ons is mis-match of 32/64-bit, e,g, it won’t work well if you install a 32-bit Dragon add-on with a 64-bit Office. Please check your versions and let me know.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Office is 32 bit
Expert:  bbao replied 7 months ago.
How about your Dragon? If 64-bit, please reinstall it to 32-bit version.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Don't know where to find that info on dragon, I've looked
Expert:  bbao replied 7 months ago.

Please check which folder is used for installing the Dragon software, Program Files or Program Files (x86)? You may find this using Windows Explorer.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I just got off the phone with Dragon tech, again. Was informed that dragon does not install with either 32 or 64 bit - those options are not even available during install. Rather, dragon adapts to your operating system, which in my case is widows 10/64 bit. Office, however, is a different story. Office installs in either 32 or 64 bit. This option I did not notice or even think about when installing. However, given that office did automatically installed 32 bit, I'm going to reinstall it using 64 bit option.The dragon tech informed me that 32 or 64 bit should not affect Dragon functionality, but I really cannot answer that anomaly.
Expert:  bbao replied 7 months ago.

> which in my case is widows 10/64 bit.

You may verify this manually using my method given above. If you see the Dragon software is located under "Program Files", then it is x64 version.

> I'm going to reinstall it using 64 bit option.

If Dragon goes with Windows and you can't control the 32/64-bit version, then yes: you better reinstall Office in x64 mode. Please be aware that you need to download a x64 installer if you obtained your Office copy online from office.com.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
dragon is located under program files. I just completed downloading Office using the 64 bit mode. So, will use this set up & see what happens. It usually doesn't crash right away, only after using it for an hour or two. So, we'll see what happens. At first blush, it seems to be operating more calmly, if that makes any sense. As mentioned, cursor has a tendency to jump all over the page by itself. Whether this is an over-sensitivity on the part of dragon's speech recognition component I cannot say. Time will tell.
Expert:  bbao replied 7 months ago.

> Time will tell.

Okay.

Just in case any issue occurs even for this scenario, you may reinstall Dragon after Office has been installed. This will ensure all Dragon add-ons (actually DLLs) are properly deployed and registered.