Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office questions? Ask an IT Expert for support ASAP

I’m receiving certain messages twice in Outlook 2016

Customer Question
(office365 for business licensed mailbox)...
I’m receiving certain messages twice in Outlook 2016 (office365 for business licensed mailbox)? There are no rules configured.
What could be probable cause and how to resolve the duplicate message receipt? Thanks
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Microsoft Office
3/26/2018
Microsoft Office Technician: bbao, IT Consultant replied 3 months ago
bbao
bbao, IT Consultant

How many accounts are there managed by the Outlook 2016? A single one or multiple accounts?

A single office 365 mailbox
Only 1 account too
Do you have *any* rules on server and local Outlook? If you have another device accessing the same mailbox, does it also see duplicates?
No rules set in Outlook or Server side.Yes OWA also and this has happened only for 2 messages
Could it be due to some network time out that it got sent twice
No. Unsuccessful network sessions will not be counted.
If you see the duplicates in OWA, that does mean the issue is at the server/cloud side. I would double check any server side’s email settings. A remote session is not required.
This is the scenario.
Sender sends message to customer and cc a distribution list where sender is a member as well.Result :he got 2 copies of this message in his inbox .Rest of the other members of the distribution list got only 1 message for info.There are no rules.Cant figure out how the duplicate message happened? There are no settings server side for forwarding from his mailbox either
Your explanation did make sense. Then what happened was normal actually by design. For the email server and the recipient, the two emails are technically different (two different recipients), hence the recipient will see two copies in the Inbox. The simplest solution might be to ask the sender to post to the DL only.
The sender posted to the DL only ! He didn’t cc himself

> Sender sends message to customer and cc a distribution list where sender is a member as well.

> Result :he got 2 copies of this message in his inbox .

Who is he? The sender or the recipient (customer)?

Can you please SAVE the two "duplicate" files in to MSG or EML format, compress them in a ZIP file then upload it here for review?

Please do not simply forward the emails then paste the content as this would not contain the key info (email source including email header). Thanks.

The email is confidential and I’m not permitted to share the Internet headers.Can u guide what should I be looking at with headers ? Thanks

Please see HERE the screenshot showing how to find the email source using OWA.

Please copy the shown email source text BEFORE MIME-Version and paste the content here for review. The content to be pasted here is only the Internet email header, and it does not contain your business confidential content of the email itself.

Please close this case. Thanks
Did the above suggestions help?
No.Business has just decided to close this discussion