Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office questions? Ask an IT Expert for support ASAP

I am working with Excel and Word 2013. I have recreated

I am working with...

I am working with Excel and Word 2013. I have recreated approx. 15 spreadsheets within one Excel file that has come from multiple users that is linked to a Word document (report). The report and Excel spreadsheets are currently working correctly and are updating in real time on my computer; however, I am trying to find the easiest way to duplicate or recreate a new report/new Excel (the new report and new Excel spreadsheets working together) without the new report trying to pull from the original Excel worksheets. Thank you for your time and expertise.

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your computer or device?

Microsoft 2013

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update your Excel?

A few years ago

3/24/2018
bbao
bbao, IT Consultant

Do you mean you are using an Excel workbook to populate data into a Word file, and you have done so for 12 pairs of Word + Excel files, then you want to work out a method to automatic way to pair the Word and Excel files?

I have one Excel workbook that has approx. 15 spreadsheets that populate data into one Word doc/report. I am trying to copy or duplicate the process without the new report pulling from the original excel spread sheet. Make sense?

> copy or duplicate the process without the new report pulling from the original excel spread sheet.

Do you mean you want the final report disconnect the data connection with the source data, so it can be opened on its own?

If my understanding is correct, I will accept your remote assistance request. Thanks.

currently, when I try to copy and paste a file folder that has the original Word Doc (report) and original Excel File (that has 15 spreadsheets) to create a new file for a separate client, it is not working. the links within the new report pull from the original excel file and not the new excel file

Okay, do you mean you want to prevent the copied Word file from using absolute reference to the linked data source, so if you copy set A (including one Word and one Excel with 15 sheets) to set B, all files of set B will work separately (no links to set A). Correct?

bbao
bbao, IT Consultant
to confirm what you are saying, I need Set B to link and operate the same as Set A; all linked Excel spreadsheets and cells need to populate into Set B's Word Doc with new entered data from Set B's Excel spreadsheets. Please confirm.
this system needs to allow the end user to recreate new reports/excel files that is repeatable; i.e. each new client needs its own Word doc and Excel file that links the same as Set A. Set A needs to be repeatable hundreds of times. thank you

Thanks for requesting remote assistance. Please click HERE from your Windows computer to start remote session with me.

All done. Solution given and demonstrated via the remote session.

You deleted 30 some Word doc pages within the test groups. What is up with that?

Yes, to remove the references to other Excel files in order to speed up opening the Word file.

Your final document should not be based on those Set folders, which are for test only!

I have to go back to Set B and make all the code changes within the Word Doc that match what we did on the first page?

No. Set B folder is also for test only. You should work from your original documents.

All SET folders are for test only, we may have make some changes there. Delete all of them.

to confirm. you want me to delete all sets (b, c, d, e) and work the new code into the original Word Doc?

Correct. You already know how to change the code fields, why do you still need those SET folders?

true. just confirming
do I still need to point code within Original Report to Set B excel file? And then replace Template FAI Excel with Set B within file?