Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office questions? Ask an IT Expert for support ASAP

Each time I email my Excel spreadsheet some of the cells…

Each time I email my...
Each time I email my Excel spreadsheet some of the cells change from custom to general where a number now has 8 or 10 decimal places where once it was programmed to have but one. The program had been working perfectly before this situation began. How can I prevent this.
3/23/2018
kanoko
kanoko, MS Office Guru

I would be glad to help. To better understand the problem, are you using any VBA macros that modify the contents or formatting of these cells?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
No macros. I highlight cell(s) and go to Number Format and select %, etc.I've never had this problem before....what triggered this problem I do not know.

I see. Have you tried selecting the entire column (by clicking the column header letter) and formatting the contents of the entire column at once?

Was that approach able to solve your problem?

If that did not solve your problem, let me know and we can try a few other ways of formatting cells. If your problem has been solved, please remember to leave a positive rating to let myself and other experts know you no longer need help.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
That solution will not work because within a column there is %, text and/or numbers.Moreover, on one of the workbook's 50 or so sheets the text cells went from bold to no bold and reduced in font size.There seems to be a default that is kicking in but it appears to be randomly happening on certain sheets and randomly on the certain cells within a sheet. When it happens it appears that the fonts go from arial to calibri. The workbook appears to have been formatted for calibri and I am always to changing to arial. But this is the first time the workbook in a year of using this MS purchase has taken on a mind of its own.

I see. Yes, using multiple types of formatting for a single column can lead to the issues you are describing. Traditionally Excel is designed to specify a set of formatting rules for an entire column and maintain those rules even when columns and rows are moved around.

If there is no way for you to structure your worksheets so that one set of rules can be applied for each column, I would suggest providing a sufficient gap of rows between cells in a column that use different formatting rules, and avoid deleting rows or columns that cause any existing rows or columns to shift. For instance if you need to delete a row, column, or group of cells, after selecting them, press the Delete key instead of using right-click Delete. This should remove the contents of the cells without shifting them, and maintain the formatting applied to those cells and nearby cells.

Please let me know if that solution does not work for you.

Instead of using Remote Assistance, perhaps you could provide your Excel file as an attachment for me to look at?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
OK. Give me an email address....

You can use the paperclip icon in the chat window to add an attachemnt

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
We're sorry – an unknown error occurred. Please try again.Your file adder is giving me the above message. Pls connect remotely. Then you'll see how enable button corrupts the file.Frank

What is the file extension of your Excel file? xlsx, xls, xlsm?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
xls

OK, we can try the remote option instead.

kanoko
kanoko, MS Office Guru
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Also when I added cells to my CPA's page that i cut from his workbook and pasted into my workbook, the cells' format changed.

Are you currently on a Windows PC or Mac?

I need to know what type of computer you are on to initiate the Remote request. Is this an Apple computer or Windows computer?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Windows

So there isn't anything inherently wrong with your spreadsheet, but the layout could cause formatting problems like the ones your are having if you are not careful.

First, you should go through all of your worksheets and for any cells that have the wrong formatting, use the right-click -> Formatting cells option I was using.

You should avoid using the Custom type, and instead use the Number type for any decimel numbers, and use the currency type for any numbers that need to have a dollar sign in front of them.

Because of the large amount of data, this may take a long time, so maybe just focus on the cells that are clearly formatted incorrectly first, like the long decimel numbers.

Most likely, you are copying and pasting cells between worksheets, and the default behavior in Excel is to include formatting when pasting.

Instead, after copying, when you paste, use right-click and choose Paste As Value. Or if you just use the shortcut Ctrl+V, you should see a small popup icon that you can click on to choose Paste as Value.

Please let me know if you have any questions about this.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
You said...
"Because of the large amount of data, this may take a long time, so maybe just focus on the cells that are clearly formatted incorrectly first, like the long decimal numbers."
Does this mean I have to correct each cell individually? You cannot right click on a highlighted range without losing the highlight. Correct?

Well the layout of your spreadsheet doesn't lend itself to selecting large amounts of cells with the same desired formatting. It seems almost every adjacent row and column requires different formatting.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Number/right click does not explain why arial changes calibri.....is there a universal change for the workbook?

But from what I looked at it seems most numbers are holding financial information, so you should be able to set a Number type with two decimel places, and choose whether or not to include the comma for thousands.

The font change is probably caused by the copy/paste issue I described earlier. You need to make sure you set the font and font size correctly first, then when copying and pasting, make sure to paste by value, instead of using the default paste operation.

Because the complexity of the spreadsheet, I would focus on solving one section of cells in a single worksheet first, and then move on to another section.

Pick an area you were having trouble with, then set the formattting, and font that you want for those cells, then try doing a copy and paste by value to make sure the formatting and font remain the same. And then just repeat the process anywhere in the worksheet you are having trouble.

I should add that since you have a lot of cells that contain formulas, you may want to highlight those cells in a specific color to make them easier to identify. When copying and pasting formulas you DONT want to use paste as value as this will paste the end result of the formula and not the formula itself. There may be occasions where you do want to do that though. But you should be clearly aware which cells are holding values and which are holding formulas beforehand.

In the case you want to copy and paste an actual formula and have it update the formula to reflect the offset of the new cell location, but not include the formatting, just use the Paste As Formula option.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
The sheet is fine when I open and close on my desktop.So why is the corruption triggered only after an email in which the recipient must click "enable"?This problem started two weeks ago - - after months of perfect performance. After years of using Excel, I've never seen anything like this.

Is this issue specific to a particular person you are sending to?

It would be best if you are able to reproduce the problem yourself, sending the email to yourself and opening it. Otherwise I suspect the issue might be with the version of Excel your recipient is using.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Trouble happens for sure when I email myself. I've checked two of my computers on the same email and found the corruption varies from one PC to another on the identical email.

It must be the filetype you are using and a different version of Excel not capturing all of the formatting information because of this. You menioned the filetype you are using XLS, you should be using XLSX if the spreadsheet doesnt contain macros, and XLSM if it does. You can change the filetype by going to File -> Save As -> and choose the correct filetype in teh dropdown at the bottom of the popup window.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
It appears that the issue was the file extension.....problem has not recurred using both workbook and macro extensions! (or at least greatly minimized.)I'll keep testing. Thanks.

I'm glad to hear that. Keep in mind, if your workbook isn't currently using Macros, it's best not to save it as an XLSM as this type of file can get caught by anti-virus software due to the possible system level actions that can be performed by macros. So if everything appears to be working as an XLSX file, I wouldn't worry about using XLSM at all unless you decide to add macros later on.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
OK. There is no XLSX file option available on my pulldown, so I should I assume that "Workbook" (1st option on the menu) is the best?

Yes, "Excel Workbook" would be the option you want. I would double check the file after you save it to make sure the extension is XLSX.

kanoko
kanoko
kanoko, MS Office Guru