Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office questions? Ask an IT Expert for support ASAP

Can you give me a formula for openoffice and excel for

limiting the maximum amount of...
can you give me a formula for openoffice and excel for limiting the maximum amount of keywords in the first row? lets say I have a title that is 200 characters long but I want to shorten it to 150 max. Thanks
3/22/2018
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.
I am very sorry about your issues.

Are the keywords stored in the separate column like column A and then the shortened version stored in another column like column B?

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.
Best regards,
Jess

hi sorry for the delay response. Yes, they are stored in a separate column

Thank you for writing back with that information.

For MS Excel, the function you can use to accomplish this is LEFT(). Example, if the data is in cell A1, and you want the 150 characters only to be displayed in the next column cell, B1. The formula should be:

=left(a1,150)

For OpenOffice Calc, the function is the same, but the formula structure is different since it is using ; instead of ,. It should read like this in Calc:

=left(a1;150)

Notice the semi-colon as compared to the comma in Excel.

When the formula is entered, drag the fill-handle down to copy it to the bottom of the column where there are data.

Here are my sample files for you:

Excel => http://filesxpress.com/d-c40c5f4a

Calc sample => http://filesxpress.com/d-64b227c7

I hope that helped.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!

If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess

Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
thank you

You're welcome.

Thank you for using our service. If you need assistance in the future, you can request me any time by posting a new question starting with "For Jess M" so that I can assist you immediately.

Best regards,
Jess