Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office questions? Ask an IT Expert for support ASAP

How do I change a read-only word document to be editable,

Customer Question
How do I change...

How do I change a read-only word document to be editable

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update Word?

Don't know. it's included with Office 2016.

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Word?

I found one reference that said to do File->Info->Protect Document-> Restrict Editing -> Stop Protection. My version of Word does not have the option to Stop Protection.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Software Expert to know before I connect you?

Only that I never want to open a document in Read Only mode

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Microsoft Office
3/21/2018
Microsoft Office Technician: Jess M., Computer Support Specialist replied 1 month ago
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.
I am very sorry about your issues. Few things first:

1. Are you using a Windows computer or a Mac?
  2. Is this happening to ONE document only?

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.
Best regards,
Jess

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Windows.
It seems to occur on all documents.
In any case, when it does occur on a document, how to i get rid of Read Only?
And how can I get rid of Read Only permanently?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
don't connect to my computer. Just tell me how to do it.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are you there?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Please e-mail your answer to***@******.***

Can you send me a sample document so that I can check if the problem is the document or if it is your MS Word? Attach the sample document here when you reply.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Attached is one example. Many open like this. I want to universally get rid of Read Only mode.

I checked the file and it is normal file. It is in compatibility mode but not read only. I believe the problem is with MS Word. How about your MS Excel, is it working just fine?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have to leave the computer for about 2 hours. I will check for your progress when I return. Just send the stops to get rid of Read Only mode. Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it is in compatibility mode, but notice it is in Read Only. The problem IS with MS Word. I don't use MS Excel so I can't answer your other question.My request remains: how do I get rid of Read Only mode in Word, and allow me to edit documents and immediately save them without having to save them with a new filename?

Where are you saving your document files? Maybe the folder where you are saving them is read only.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That's not the problem, I just edit the document, then click Save, and Word requires that I save it with a different name. I want to save it with the original name. I use many other applications, and the all work the way I expect them to, except this version of Word.This is the third time I've asked in this thread: How do I get rid of the Read Only condition in Word? Can you help me with that?

I am here to help you, but I do not see what you have on your computer, that is why I was asking you those questions to help me help you.

I know what you want to accomplish. I am not viewing your screen so please tell me what I need to know to be able to provide a fix for you. The troubleshooting process can take some time since there are several procedures to follow.

Here are the steps:

Close ALL of your MS Office programs.

Open MS Word and a blank document should show up.

Try going to File => Options => Trust Center => Trust Center Settings and either:

• go to Trusted Documents and check the box for "Allow documents on a network to be trusted"
  • go to Protected View and uncheck the box for "Enable Protected View for files located in potentially unsafe locations"

Click OK to close the second dialog box. Click OK again to close the last dialog box.

Close MS Word.

Now open Windows Explorer window. That is the file folder icon on your computer.

Click on the VIEW menu at the top

Then in the first group called Panes, is "Preview pane" active? If it is highlighted, click on it to TURN IT OFF. You will notice that right panel that normally shows the preview of a selected file is gone.

Close the Explorer window.

Now, open MS Word and then test saving the blank document, open it again, then see if read only problem is gone.

I hope that helped.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!

If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess

Jess M., Computer Support Specialist