Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office questions? Ask an IT Expert for support ASAP

Is it just me, or MS Excel in Office 365 is much slower than…

Hi there!Is it just me...
Hi there!Is it just me, or MS Excel in Office 365 is much slower than in 2010 version?I've just started at a new job, and we use Office 365 as a company standard.
However I have faced some performance issues when working with large data sets in Excel. This has resulted in several crashes as well.
FYI, working with local documents, not online.
Never seen anything like it in 2010 Office.PC is ok, Intel Core i7 3.5 Ghz, 32 GB of RAM
I have autosave enabled every 5 min.Is there some properties I can tweak to make Excel a bit faster?
Or is Office 365 in fact slower than 2010?Thank you in advance.
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/20/2018
Richard, Software Specialist

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

In general it runs faster due to how it handles memory.

Did you notice this from the start for Excel? Since you installed it?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It was already pre-installed on my PC.
Maybe I'm just being picky.. I do often work with files 100+ MB, but it seems it should be a bit faster.

ok, 100MB in excel is quite large and if you do array based formulas it will be slower, but in no way slower then excel 2010.

How does the same file operate in excel 2010?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Didn't had a chance to test same file in 2010 Excel.
I heard from my colleague that 365 is slower than 2010, so I just wanted to confirm / debunk this theory.

It is not, on average the way it handles data and nearly always because it runs in a 64bit operating system it is faster.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And thank you for allowing me to help you today. My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen then submit before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you

Richard, Software Specialist
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks! Have a nice day!
Richard, Software Specialist