Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office questions? Ask an IT Expert for support ASAP

My computer did an automatic update for Word and Excel and…

My computer did an...

My computer did an automatic update for Word and Excel and the new version requires a subscription and I cannot access any of my documents. I can't print or edit. When I tried to activate the subscription it wont' take my apple id and password, even though i just changed the password ***** accomodate this softwares request. This is very frustrating. How do I activate or how do I get back to the older version - I have medical informtiona nd tax documents that are important.

Technician's Assistant: Are you getting any error messages? Have you rearranged your file folders recently?

Yes, an error message that my Apple id or password ***** wrong and they aren't. what do you mean, rearranged file folders?

Technician's Assistant: What does your screen look like when you try to open Word?

Across the top, under the tool bar it says Activate OFfice to Create and edit. Start your free one month trial of Office 365 or sin in to activvate an existing su... activate button.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Microsoft Office Expert to know before I connect you?

When I activate I get I get a notice to start your free month and when I click that I get the error message

3/16/2018
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.
I am very sorry about your issues. Few things first:

1. What was the old version of MS Office that you had? And do you still have the CD/DVD installer and the product key for that old version?
  2. The activation of the subscription is NOT the same as your Apple ID and password. It refers to your Microsoft account that you used to pay for the subscription. Did you already pay for the subscription with a Microsoft account?

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.
Best regards,
Jess

I don't have the original CD/DVD installer and never needed a Microsoft pass word. With the new version, it says 16.10. and it was asking for my Apple ID when I tried to activate. I have never had a subscription and I just want my documents.
I don't know how to take a screen shot, or I would do that to show you the sign in box that comes up

Thank you for writing back with that information and I understand your concerns and frustrations. Like what I already mentioned, if you want to activate that newly upgraded version of MS Office, you need an active subscription with Microsoft and that is the Microsoft Account. If you do not have a Microsoft account, you can create one using ANY email address that you have, and right there in your Microsoft account, you can pay for the subscription of the version of MS Office that you installed on your computer.

Now, if you do not want to pay for the subscription and want your old version reinstated, you need the original installer (downloaded or CD) and the Product Key you used before to activate it.

Please tell me how do you want to proceed.

Best regards,

Jess

I have moved twice since installing and have no idea where cd would be so I guess I need to sign up for a subscription. where do I do that and why wasn't that explained when I got the update prompt. I don't think it was an upgrade prompt, as I avoid those because they only mean more complications.

I believe the "wordings" were confusing but the end result that you have now is an "upgrade" to the latest version. Before I guide you in the subscription, please tell me on how many computers do you intend to use the MS Office software? This is important because, there is a so-called "Home" and "Personal" and "Home and Student" version. Home version can be used for up to 5 computers, Personal version can be used for 1 computer only, and Home and Student is NOT a subscription, it is a one-time purchase but includes the BASIC Office programs like Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote. There is no MS Outlook for emails.

I am a widow and live alone, so I have one computer, one tablet and a phone. All Apple. I don't use outlook and only really use word and excel. At 68 years old, I probably use only 1/8 to a 1/4 of my computers capabilities. I live on a fixed income and I need thecheapest thing possible.

The cheapest is Personal subscription at $60 per year but it includes a lot other programs that you do not need I believe. The BASICS of MS Office is in Home and Student version, but it is costly since it is a one-time purchase. On the MS Office product page it shows it is $120 one-time purchase.

I understand your situation and I really want to help you get the cheapest version. But please tell me, do you normally send Word documents or Excel worksheets to other people regularly? Or you are using Word and Excel for personal use only to record stuffs? I am asking this because there is a FREE counterpart for Word and Excel that you can use. Also, let me check if there is a way to UNDO the upgrade that you just did so that you can use the old Office and not pay for a newer version.

Please give me a moment.

Best regards,

Jess

No I do’t send to others. It is just my record keeping-medical, car repairs, etc

Oh! Good to know that! If the files that you are doing are for your own use only, then I highly recommend using the FREE counterpart of MS Office so that you no longer need to pay for this unwanted upgrade. All of your OLD files created by MS Word and Excel are still accessible and you can continue working with them.

I am referring to LibreOffice. You can download it for free without worrying of subscriptions and other fees. Then install it and then you can run it to open your OLD files created by MS Word and MS Excel.

Here is the link:

https://www.libreoffice.org/download/download/

Now, if you are used to MS Word or Excel, you can easily adapt in LibreOffice since the interface is very similar. Please give that a try.

I hope that helped.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!

If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess

Jess M., Computer Support Specialist