Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office questions? Ask an IT Expert for support ASAP

I have an excel spreadsheet that is basically a cost

calculator I have put together...
I have an excel spreadsheet that is basically a cost calculator I have put together for my wife, but I can't get some of the cells to show the totals as the cells are formulas of other cells but with total results. My wife will need to use those cells in columns A, B, F, and J for each project she works on and each of these will differ according to her projects, and the totals will change accordingly and some of the blank cells will be used for other projects. But as I have done it, the totals in some of the cells are showing error messages (#DIV/0!) which I am hoping you can remove these messages and allow the blanks to show the totals. I have given an example in the spreadsheet to show you what is happening. My wife will need to use only what she needs in columns A, B, F and J which will change for each project, but she needs to be able to cost out each project and it doesn't show the totals as it stands. Can you do a fix around for me so the totals will always show no matter if she fills all of the cells or just a few in the table. Could you also include a calculate button beside the total figure shown at cells 7-9. Please note DO NOT delete the unused cells as this spreadsheet will become a template for other projects and as such will need to have the blank cells included.
3/15/2018
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.
I am very sorry about your issues. Few things first:

1. What version of Excel are you using?
  2. Can you please attach a sample or dummy of your Excel file in your reply using the Add Files button or Paper clip icon? (You can remove the confidential info on the file but please retain the other data so that I can work on them)

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.
Best regards,
Jess

I am using the latest version - ver 15.33 excel for mac. I have attached the file now

Thank you. Please give me a moment to download and check the problem on the file you attached. I will be back in a while.

Let us take for instance K23. It is an error now since the rows above it have errors to. The function is a SUM. Do you want to just take the SUM for NON-BLANK rows like rows 4 to 10? So for K23 (and similar case to other columns) the SUM should be $150.87. Am I correct?

But also there will be times when some of the blank cells all have numbers as the spreadsheet is designed to include other cells as necessary for different projects. So I may need to include additional cells as there may be more cells used per project.

I understand. The spreadsheet should be ready with the needed formula and logic so that when your wife enters the project data, all calculations are working. Please let me continue.

thanks. I have to go out for a while now but will respond when I return later today.

Thank you for your patience. I have fixed the formulas. The errors you were getting were due to division of zeros. The formula is division and you have blank cells. Then when those cells are summed, the result will be an error.

To fix the problem, I enclosed your formula with IFERROR() function. The logic is, if the result is an error (like !Div0#), it will make the cell blank. Thus, when the cells are summed, these blank cells are ignored and only those with values are added.

Also, I noticed that you used SUM() in all your functions even when the main calculation is a division like SUM(E4/F4). I removed the SUM and made the formula E4/F4 since it will be easy or quick to understand and maintain in the future.

Here is the completed file and it should be ready to accept project data!

http://filesxpress.com/d-f4975aa2

I hope that helped.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!

If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess

Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Thanks Jess. That has worked!

You're welcome and thank you for using our service.

If you need assistance in the future, you can request me any time by posting a new question starting with "For Jess M" so that I can assist you immediately.

Best regards,
Jess