Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office questions? Ask an IT Expert for support ASAP

In Publisher, after I have saved a file, and I try to open…

In Publisher, after I...

In Publisher, after I have saved a file, and I try to open it again I get this message."Publisher has detected a problem in the file you are trying to open. To protect your computer, Publisher will not open the file" The only way I can open it again is to download it from the Cloud. Then if I try to save it again on the computer with the same file name it happens (won't open) again. If I save it with another name it usually works but not always.

Technician's Assistant: Which programs (name and version) are you experiencing this issue with?

Office Publisher

Technician's Assistant: Is your Publisher file saved to cloud storage services like Dropbox, Google Drive, or OneDrive?

Google Drive

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Microsoft Office Expert to know before I connect you?

Running Windows 10 on a PC

3/15/2018
Benjamin Larson
Benjamin Larson, Software Development Engineer
Hi my name is ***** ***** I would love to help you with your question. Is this something new on an existing computer or is this a new computer? I am trying to figure out what may have changed to result in this error so I can guide you through the fix.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It's a newer computer but I just started using Publisher this week. Publisher has never been run on this computer
Do you have access to another computer with publisher?An you create a new file on this computer, upload it to the cloud, delete it on this computer and re-download it?I am trying isolate the problem to the file or the computer.
I meant can you make a new file in publisher and upload and download it.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry, I don't use Google Drive very much. I'll try again.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, I saved it directly to Google Drive, closed the file and then opened it from Google Drive and it was there.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I've been trying to repeat the problem and I can't right now, but it's happened at least 10 times in the last 10 days.If it happens again, can I get a hold of you again?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, a file i just opened 2 minutes ago, I tried to open again, and I got the error message again.
Okay so you created a new file, uploaded to Google Drive, then downloaded it and tried to open it?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I opened it directly from Google Drive. That worked. Downloading it from Google Drive also worked.
a new file isn't working, but your existing file won't open. Is that right?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry, misread. New file is working from G drive
Okay so it looks like publisher4 file won't open. Since the new file is working, likely the issue is with the file itself. Do you have a backup copy of the file/s with the issue? Can you open them in Google?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What do you mean open them in Google? Please explain.
I meant through browser. I was in error, never mind. Do you have a copy of the file that was uploaded to Google Drive?
What I believe happened is that when you uploaded the file to Google Drive it got changed so Publisher can't understand how to open it. This is called file corruption. Usually you need to recover the data from a previous copy of the file.
Of this explanation solves your original question, I would greatly appreciate it if you would please provide me with a positive rating. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I try to provide accurate and accurate complete answers.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I think files are automatically sent to G drive. Do I need to change setting's.

No, it's fine if you send the files to G drive, it should still leave a local copy on your hard drive.

Benjamin Larson
Benjamin Larson
Benjamin Larson