Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office questions? Ask an IT Expert for support ASAP

Says in autorecover for word documents set every 10 minutes…

Says in autorecover for...

Says in autorecover for word documents set every 10 minutes (confirmed in Save options) but top left corner Autorecovery icon states autorecover off and I have lost more than one document and it defaults to essentially a document saved one week ago, not 10 minutes ago

Technician's Assistant: Which programs (name and version) are you experiencing this issue with?

Microsoft Word Microsoft Excel

Technician's Assistant: Is your Word file saved to cloud storage services like Dropbox, Google Drive, or OneDrive?

No

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/15/2018
Richard, Software Specialist

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Can you tell me please the version of word you are using?

Thank you

Word 2016

Thanks

Click File > Options > Save.

Make sure the Save AutoRecover information every x minutes box is selected.

In Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, make sure the Keep the last autorecovered version if I close without saving box is selected.

It should then be enabled.

Let me know how you go please

Already did that in word, will do in others right now.....but is there any way to recover the word document if I didn't restart or shut down my computer (something must have autorestarted it?)

No, the auto save is only for in the even word crashed, not if you did not save it. You need to regularly save it and can do so via CTRL and S for this.

They are ALL (word, excel, powerpoint) already set to save autorecover every 10 minutes. I just changed them all to 2 minutes.So shouldn't I be able to see an autorecovered document from 10 minutes ago, not autorecovered one week ago?
as my only option given (the one week ago, not 10 minutes ago)

Can you provide a little back ground information please on the issue?

What exactly has happened? Did you forget to save a document?

I guess my last save was March 5. I worked on this word document yesterday morning and I guess forgot to save it before leaving for an appointment. I didn't close down word without saving. My computer was not powered off. I came back from hours away from my computer and my word document I had been working on, as well as an excel document were shut down (not by anyone else either). All internet sites were still up and running as I had left them.
I did have an external hard drive plugged in at one point trying to see if it contained info I needed re: proof for the document. Would it have autorecovered to that drive instead of my actual hard drive? Don't understand though why word and excel would have closed down but not any of the internet sites if it was a computer restart.

Ok, this is not what auto save is for, Auto save is when the computer crashed it will try to recover a saved version of it.

The version you see is the last one you personally save.

I advise as you work on a document to always use CTRL and S to continually save it.

I totally understand that. But I just really need the document if it is possible to somehow get it back. I personally and no one else in the household closed out of it or shut the computer down. if I didn't close out the document and no one else did, I do not understand why it was not still up on my screen. And if windows/excel.....shut themselves down is this not a crash?

Is this a mac or windows computer and which version?

Windows
You will have to remind me how to check version

It is ok, go to the file in the windows file manager

Right click it and choose properties than previous versions.

Do you see a previous version there?

Please let me know

ok gonna do that now
Is that the same as file explorer? Sorry, just having some difficulty.

Ues that is file explorer

When I right click it does not give me the option of properties...
Sorry you mean go to the word document itself and do this - doing this now

It will, you need to click on the yellow folder icon at the bottom which is windows file manager

Then navigate to the file and right click it there

All the files to click on entitled that word document are dated March 5, 2018, and I worked on it yesterday without saving such that previous versions are older. Also when I right click it gives me an option to restore previous versions but does not show me previous versions.

Ok, it means none are available, this will be the only version you can use sorry

But can you explain what happened so I can prevent it from happening again other than saving manually myself? Is something like google Drive my only option to ensure it is continually saving. Like, I still don't understand why all microsoft documents got closed down mysteriously but nothing else

You have to manually save yourself, this is what happened, you did not.

So continuously press CTRL and S as you are working on the document to ensure it is always saving the most current copy.

I understand that.However, I do not understand why word closed down if I did not close it and no one else manually closed it Can you explain why word and excel would close down by themselves and nothing else to cause me to lose work in the first place?

If it crashed and the auto recovery did not run then this is a reason why it would close down.

Or if the computer went to sleep, or another program you had installed closed it down.

I totally understand to save the document from hereon. But if autorecovery was on every 10 minutes should not this have saved the document. Again, I don't understand why if I have ensured it is on in all microsoft programs, why the icon top left says it is off, and why I do not have a 10 minute from crash version vs a 10 day ago version

It is not fail-safe, the auto recovery is known to be unreliable, but if word crashes then this is all it has to go on when it tries to recover the file.

But it is only when word crashed and only when Autosave actually performed a save.

UnderstandWhy is autorecover icon top left off if I have ensured that it is on

Click on it and turn it on please

It won't allow me to click on it and turn it on is the problem
All other top left corner icons are white and clickable, that one is not

Close office, go to control panel, uninstall a program, then click office, then change and then repair.

Choose to do an online repair, let this complete and when it has, try then to enable it.

Let me know the results.

uninstall office?

No, repair it, I think you missed the instructions I just sent you, I will repeat these.

You are not uninstalling but repairing

I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.

This is to try to get the autosave to work correct? I just don't want to close it all down in case there is the even most minute chance that that word document is recoverable (which it sounds not to be)

yes

I will have to try this later as I have to go as my two year old is quite sick.Thank you for all of your help!

I hope he / she is ok!

And thank you for allowing me to help you today. My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen then submit before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Richard, Software Specialist