Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office questions? Ask an IT Expert for support ASAP

I'm trying to record a macro in excel for mac 2011 and get…

I'm trying to record...

I'm trying to record a macro in excel for mac 2011 and get the error message "Unable to record". Developer tab is activated, and warning box on macros unchecked.

Technician's Assistant: If you open your Excel document and go to File -> Revert To, do you get the option to "Browse All Versions"?

There is no option for "Revert To"

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Excel file I am working on is attached for reference.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm working in Excel for Mac 2011 v 14.4.4
3/14/2018
bbao
bbao, IT Consultant

Did you try the same Excel file under Excel for Windows?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't have windows only mac

I opened the Excel file from both Windows and Mac and saw nothing in the Macros dialogue box. Are you sure it is a right file? Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am trying to create a macro and it says "unable to record" - so yes, there are no macros, because it is preventing me from creating them. That's the problem I'm trying to solve -

Okay, please let me know what do you want "record" and let me try it from my side. This will hep us determine what kind of issue it is, system specific, document specific, or even application specific. Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I want to create a macro/button that clears the contents of a specific set of fields in the tab 1. Enter New Costs+Revenues, column D. All the ones that are in black bold font, and have a green dot in column B. Specifically:
D9-11; 13-14, 19-21, 27-38, 42-45, 49-50.

My Excel on Mac in under updating. I am going to first try it in Windows.

FYI - Excel files are compatible on both Windows and Mac.

Okay, I think I no need to upload what I recorded I have know the reason and solution.

When you save the Excel with macro(s) recorded, you should change the file extension (file format) to Excel with Macro (xlsm), not the existing xlsx file. Otherwise your macro will be lost.

Please see my screenshot below for your information.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK, I saved as macro enabled, but still get the same error message "Unable to record"

Please check this video to see if you have missed something

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2bTaFEhE0A

Sorry I can't test with Excel for Mac 2011 for now. I have to return home to test it on my Mac Pro which is running on 2011 with El Capitan.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I looked at the video. I am doing NONE of those things because i can't take those steps. I can't take that first step - after I hit record, and name the macro, I get the error "unable to record" and that stops any further action. So the video was great for showing how to record, but I can't get to that step. I think maybe theres something missing from my version of excel - when I opened the visual basic editor, nothing shows up, just a blank screen. I've done macros before so I know it's possible...

Did you try any other Excel file? Try create an new blank Excel file then click the Record button. This will tell you if it is application issue or document specific issue.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Tried another excel file, same thing happens, so it's application not file specific.

Okay, please be patient for my test at home later tonight (AEST). Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK

My apology for the delay. Just got a chance to access my home computer with Excel for Mac 2011 installed. I haven't been using the desktop for a long while.

You file has no issue to record and replay macros. Please see below the screenshot for your kind reference.

I am also attaching the Excel workbook with macro saved. It is in ZIP format due to the site's limit.

Sorry again for replying late. Please kindly review the rating and let me know if anything else that I can be of assistance. Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was able to try this and appreciate you sticking with it. I can now record macros, so progress. But, when I try to run the one you recorded (which isn't the macro I'm trying to record FYI - I'm trying to get values to go to 0 for a selection of cells in column 10. See my entry above on March 14 at 5:20 for specifics.)When I run the macro you created, it says "Compile error, can't find project or library". Image attached. So, still unsolved.

As per your description, I believe the issue is with your Office 2011 for Mac. I would suggest you simply remove Office 2011 and reinstall it again.

Please test and review your rating for my service. Thanks.

Any update please? Thanks.

bbao
bbao, IT Consultant
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i have find, download, etc to do the reinstall, it will take a while as I have other priorities today. Will try to do it by tomorrow EOD pacific time and let you know.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I downloaded and reinstalled and it works! Thanks.

Great!

bbao
bbao
bbao, IT Consultant