Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office questions? Ask an IT Expert for support ASAP

I'm trying to automate the filling in of on a word document…

I'm trying to automate...

I'm trying to automate the filling in of blanks on a word document so a salesperson can type and word will appropriately fill in the blanks. I was trying to do it with an excel form, but the word format gets screwed up

Technician's Assistant: Is your Word file saved to cloud storage services like Dropbox, Google Drive, or OneDrive?

Not at this point -- it's on my PC, but I can send it to you

Sending you the files I've been working with
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Secure Remote Assistance.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
I would also like to lock the Word document so the salesperson can only change certain information
3/14/2018
bbao
bbao, IT Consultant

> I was trying to do it with an excel form, but the word format gets screwed up

What's the final format for your documents? Word or Excel?

Right now there's an Excel and a Word document. My intention was to get the salesperson to fill out the Excel document and have that automatically populate to the Word doc, but it's not working well. That's probably not the right approach.
You should have the documents.

Documents received. Reviewing.

The reason I chose to use Excel as the input form was the requirement to do some calculations (the green cells)

Will you send the final Word documents to different clients in the same format while having different offering prices or plans?

each client gets a customized document for them. The pricing in the green cells is driven by the number of extensions on their telephone system -- hence the use of the Excel form to fill in the pricing
Take a look at the formulae in the green cells
You'll have to un-hide the other page of the Excel doc

I have noticed an Input sheet is hidden. The formulas in the green cells, technically, is just references, not formulas. :)

Well yes you're correct -- the formulae are in the hidden page
Did you un-hide the other page?

Yes, I did. I guess we need a remote session plus phone conversation to clarify a few more requirements and demonstrate what to do on your computer. It can't be explained here in text, just difficult and time consuming.

Want to call me -- or me to call you? You have my number I believe.
Do I need to accept the remote assistance?

I don't have your phone number. Phone call and remote access belongs to premium services and needs extra charge to be paid in advance. I can send you offer from my side if you like.

bbao
bbao, IT Consultant
I've accepted the additional charge
My phone is(###) ###-####

Thanks for requesting remote assistance services. Please let me know what kind of computer you are using for the remote session, such as Windows PC or Mac?

PC

Please click HERE from your Windows PC to start a remote session with me. Thanks.

Is there something else I need to do?
Thank You!

All done. You are welcome.

I've encountered a problem....the numbers from excel show up in Word, but the dollar numbers don't have the $ sign

I believe populating or changing the cell type from Numbers to Text should work, as Word will copy the exact string from Excel.

Anyway, please bear with me for a while to test from my side.

OK
Also, when we were entering the mail merge information the word document showed the <data name>...now it shows the actual information...I think I'm doing something wrong in setting up the mail merge
OK...looks like the only issue I have is the numbers not showing up with the appropriate dollar sign
Also I'd like to prevent salespeople from modifying the word document other than through the mail merge process....

okay. testing...

Sorry for the typo. My side shows, not my shows.

Want me to send you my files?

No, I send you my files (clean format and code) for your review.

Now my word doc has the "insert merge field" grayed out.....frustrating

Do my files work well at your side?

I'm going to start from scratch....re-create the word doc

> "insert merge field" grayed out

You document is not in "merging" status, click the wizard to start.

> Yes

As I said, your existing document is believe having some (or heaps of) code mess, that's why i always use clean document to do proof of concept

> I'm going to start from scratch..

Correct approach.

OK -- sorry to be such a pain. The problem with setting the format to text in excel is that with that setting, Excel doesn't put in the currency sign ($), so the result still doesn't display as currency.
Also the Word file still will not allow me to restrict editing. Please help
I would attach the files, but for some reason your web application won't allow me to.

Just compress all files into a single ZIP file. That's it.

OK - I solved the issue of inserting the $ by using the "&" function to create a string with "$" taken from another cell & the value. Now if you can help me restrict editing, I'll be finished.
When I click on the +Add Files link, nothing happens.

Change a browser or clear the browser's history.