Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office questions? Ask an IT Expert for support ASAP

I am looking to understand how to set up a pivot table in…

Hi, I am looking to understand...
I am looking to understand how to set up a pivot table in Office 365 which will accomplish the following:
- I have Rows of data, that have a category header...ie:
Joe
Angelaand horizontally, I have data, I would like grouped...
January 2017, Feb 17, March 17,...January 2025, Feb 25, March 25...ten years, by 12 months, so 120 columns with monthly data.
I would like my Pivot table to MAINTAIN my row labels, ie.
Joe
Angela, and group the monthly data, horizontally, by year...
Ie...instead of 120 columns, i would like 10 columns, with the monthly data summed up.Thank you,
3/14/2018
bbao
bbao, IT Consultant

Hello, this is Bing to help. Do you have an example workbook that I can work on demonstrating what you expect?

For best user experience, it is recommended to request remote assistance I can demonstrate how and what to do directly on your computer. Thanks.

HI Bing,I do not have a work book. You can create a file with the following:
___________________2017_____________________________ ____2018_______
Jan Feb Mar April May June July August Sept Oct Nov Dec Jan Feb....
Mike 30 20 50 30 10 10 10 10 20 30 40 50 30 25 ...
Joe 23 19 ....
David ... ...You can make up whatever numbers you want. My source data looks like above.
And I want my pivot table output to look like this:2017 2018 for another 8 years....until 2026
Mike 310 zzz
Joe xxx aaa
David yyy bbbYou can use whatever numbers and row names you want...I just need to see the Pivot table layout, and if you click any specific layout setting, like...tabular format, or anything else like that.Let me know if this is enough.
You will not log on to my computer.
Thanks,Dan

Okay, I will update you once done. Thanks.

> 2017 2018 for another 8 years....until 2026

What do you mean about this?

In my understanding, your data source is for two years only 2017 and 2018, where do you get the data fro another 8 years?

PivotTable is used to analyse existing data, not to generate source data. :)

Sorry man,I was telling you to simply make stuff up. The actual data is not important. The concept is.
I have actually 4000 lines of data, stretched across 10 years, on a monthly basis, that I am trying to "group" by years...
I don't want to provide you with the actual data, and I don't want to let you log on to my computer.
You can create an example yourself, in excel..simply take 2 or 3 rows, with some sort of heading, it can be A, B, C, D...etc...or people's names, and then fill in some columns, with fake data, 10, 20, 30...whatever...the important part is that the columns represent months. And I then want the pivot table, to sum up, January to December, every year....and so, instead of 120 columns, which is 10 yrs x 12 months, I can get only 10 columns, with all the months summed up.If you have built a pivot table before, it cannot be that complicated. I just don't know how to do it. You can use, SumIfs or other nested functions, but I think a pivot table would be the most elegant. I just don't know how to do it.And NO, i am not trying to GENERATE data, I am trying to get you to GENERATE an example. All i need is the concept...the logic.Makes sense?

Do you mean all months of the 10 years in the SAME line on the top?

Moreover, do you really want to keep the exact layout as you mentioned above? It is NOT an optimised layout for the result you are looking for. Do you want me to change the layout for you?

ok...picture this, open up a spreadsheet...and write the following
a2: Mike
a3: Bob
a4: Doug
a5: Joe
and then:
b1: January 2017
c1: February 2017
d1: March 2017
e1: April 2017...and continue until December 2026
and then fill in the cells with whatever numbers you wantafter you finish that, put together a pivot table, that groups the Months into years, and sums up the data in the rows...going left to right.Makes sense?
I don't mind if you change the layout, except for my source data is large, and is in that layout...so if you want me to transpose it, and keep it life, i need a lot of array formulas...makes the spreadsheet super big and slow.
I am open to suggestions thoughThanks,

> I don't mind if you change the layout

Okay, please standby.

Done, please download the example workbook from HERE.

Sorry for replying late as I was busy on several remote sessions. Please review and let me know if it is something you are after. Thanks.

bbao
bbao, IT Consultant
Thank you.
This uses the excel grouping function that is built in.
Apparently it is difficult to do this with the months and years, across the top.
Thank you for trying...I used a sum of function and got there. I find it weird Excel cannot do, the exact thing you did, just with the names vertically and the dates horizontally. Weird. I appreciate your persistence.Thanks,

Thanks for accepting my answer.

> This uses the excel grouping function that is built in.

Not really. It use PivotTable as you expected.

> Apparently it is difficult to do this with the months and years, across the top.

Yes, it is not Excel way to describe the logic: values by month then year per name.

> just with the names vertically and the dates horizontally

That's why I asked if I can change the layout, because it would make it easier for the same thing.

Please NOTE: the data in Sheet1 are source data, it is really not necessary in a human-readable or preferred layout or format. It should be Excel or machine friendly more. The Sheet2 is the version human friendly.

Does it make sense?