Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office questions? Ask an IT Expert for support ASAP

For weeks now, my computer has been taken over by attempts…

For weeks now, my...

For weeks now, my computer has been taken over by attempts to make updates and then finding being unsuccessfully and so then removing all the changes it was trying to make. It now happens more than once a day, for sure - probably more since I only know about the ones I'm seeing. Please help!!

Technician's Assistant: What application are you using?

Here's the message I get for the latest update that failed: 2018-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based systems (KB4056892) (28)

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/13/2018
Cody
Cody, Senior Systems Administrator

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.

Can I remotely connect to your computer, so I can troubleshoot this issue with you?

Cody
Cody, Senior Systems Administrator
Sure
Meaning what as a next step?

go here to connect me; https://tinyurl.com/y782e5f4
This will download a file named Elsinore.ScreenConnect.Client
Double click on this file to run it and connect me remotely.

You seeing this?
My screen, that is.

if its undoing again, options are to hide the update and check next month if Microsoft releases an update that would replace it.

or looking at a full reload

What does hiding the update mean? At this point, I don’t care about updates. Can I opt out so this stops happening?
Am I alone in having this happen?

not sure about this particular update, but there are may windows update issues affecting everyone it feels like

Hiding the update prevents it from trying to update again

Would you please either do that (preferred) or tell me how to do it?

yes once you get logged in again we'll do it

Here we go again.
Can you hear my screams where you are?

yes, that looked like a different update than the other one

I would recommend we disable updates and wait for the next Windows 10 major release and then you could attempt that update.

Disabling updates sounds like music to my ears.
Cody,I thought that we had fixed the problem, but my computer is still doing the updating and undoing of changes.Bob Berg

if you go to start menu > search services.msc > open that and look for Windows update > does it show disable?

I’m not seeing a search services option.

just type in services

Statis says running.

double click on it > stop > drop down menu change to disabled > apply

Well, it's saying disabled now. Hopefully that will do it.

ok we'll wait and see