Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office questions? Ask an IT Expert for support ASAP

I have a named range called Cell.prior. It simply pulls the…

I have a named...

I have a named range called Cell.prior. It simply pulls the cell directly to the left. When I use a formula in the cell to the right, it returns the text "Cell.prior". I want it to run the calculation for the named range, but cant figure out how to do it.

Technician's Assistant: Which programs (name and version) are you experiencing this issue with?

Excel 2013

Technician's Assistant: What does your screen look like when you try to open Excel?

Its a normal excel screen. I dont have a problem opening excel.

3/10/2018
bbao
bbao, IT Consultant

What specific calculation do you want to apply to the named range?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have created a named range called Cell.prior. It should pull whatever is in the cell directly to the left.

> It should pull whatever is in the cell directly to the left.

Sorry I can't follow you about this. Are you asking how to use a named range in a formula?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Cell A1 is 500. In cell A2, I entered my named range "Cell.prior.1". As a result, 500 shows in cell A2. This works the way I need it to. Now, I want to use a formula in A2 which results in "Cell.prior.1". But I want it to calculate and give me 500, the amount in A1.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is anyone there?

I am here.

Normally, for any formula in the a cell, you need to input "=" at first, before anything. This is an indicator to tell Excel that anything behind is for a formula.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I understand that. That doesn't address my question.

Okay, I guess a remote session is required as it is difficult to understand what you are actually referring to. For your case, I would like to offer a 50% discount I you agree I offer the service from my side. Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have created a simple named range called "Cell.prior.1"
The named range pulls the cell directly to its left.
500 is in cell A1.
In A2, I entered thenamed range "Cell.prior.1". The result is 500. This is working the way I want it to.
I enter "Cell.prior.1" in cell A2.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Now, I enter +A2 in cell B1.
The result in cell B1 is "Cell.prior.1"
I want the named range to calculate and return the result of 500 in cell B1.
How do you make this happen?

Please better upload your Workbook here for review. Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Uploaded

Thanks. Reviewing.

Found the reason. For some reasons your range was not defined well, actually was not pointed to any range.

I have fixed that by giving a absolute reference to A1, then all works.

Please download the workbook and verify. Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I dont want to use an absolute reference. How can i do it without an absolute reference? See b1 attached.

I don't know how you defined the name or range, your new Excel still has no actual reference defined for the given name.

You have to use absolute reference this way.

It doesn't make sense to use a reference name pointed to nowhere (or randomly).

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Its not a random reference. It always refers to the cell directly to its left.

Not actually, it is pointed to itself. That's why it causes referencing issue (self-referencing).

What's your ultimate goal for doing this? I think I can help you do that instead using this kind of strange reference.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i need to be able to copy the cell to every cell in a cash forecast.

> to copy the cell to every cell in a cash forecast.

For a specific spreadsheet? Available to upload for review?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
cell es73 should pull the cell that is two cells to the left, which is 500. Once I get this formula to work I will copy it to the rest of the work book.

Are you aware that every time open the file then two Excel windows are opened?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Excel allows you to open multiple windows.

It seems I do need more time to review your large workbook. I may opt out, or I may offer you premium services at extra cost to cover my effort. Please advise. Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I thought this was unlimited services for excel questions.

For general Excel questions, that is fine. But your Excel sheet is too large and we have to spend extra effort to understand it and troubleshoot the issue. I guess it is reasonable, as your side may spent hundred hours on building the large Excel, how could we understand the relationships just by a glance?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There is no need to understand the whole spreadsheet. It is isolated to one cell. Is there someone else that could look at it?

Okay, I opt out for now. Will be back if you are still outstanding here for a long while.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Where do we go from here?

You may just wait, hopefully the next expert may pick up your question shortly. Good luck.

The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager

=INDEX(cell,1)

so if referring to B1,

=INDEX(B1,1)

then to use in a calculation

=INDEX(B1,1)*2

for example would give 2 x the value in cell B1 regardless of where the value came from.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

let me know if you have any questions, problems, or concerns

PLEASE DON'T FORGET TO RATE SO I AM PAID FOR MY TIME

IT WILL NOT COST ANYTHING ADDITIONAL BEYOND THE VALUE OF YOUR QUESTION

TO RATE, CLICK THE STARS AT THE TOP OF YOUR SCREEN

Do not rate negatively, instead continue the conversation with me so I can address any of your concerns

*** REMEMBER TO APPLY BONUS, THIS IS VERY MUCH APPRECIATED AS IT IS HOW I MAKE A LIVING ***

if you have any questions in the future you can visit my profile

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-1expert-2rulethemall/

and ask a question right in my box,

also you can put "PC Guy only" in your question title if you want to get to me.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am still not able to get it to work. In the attached, please see cell b1. I want to adjust the formula in cell b1 to return 500, which is the value in a1. How do I make this happen?

i don't think you can make it work this way

Im not even sure you want to do it this way.

why not just refer to it as

=INDIRECT(ADDRESS(ROW(),COLUMN()-1))

instead of using the named range, I am not sure you can use named ranges by typing the name of the range in a cell and trying to use it in a formula

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Attached, please see the actual spreadsheet I am working on. Cell es73 is the formula that I need help with. It refers to the drop down selection in cell d73. I need cell es73 to use the named range formula selected in cell d73. If working properly, the result in es would be 500, the amount in the cell, two cells directly to the left

okm so you want to change which named range is used in the formula on the fly

unfortunately excel is not capable of this functionality.

If you really need to do it this way I could write a custom function macro that should allow for the use of a named range in a formula.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is there another way to accomplish what I am trying to do? How much is it to create a custom macro. Will it allow me to easily add new named ranges to the drop down?

there is no other way to use named ranged indirectly as part of the formula. You can use indirect with addresses

like if you have B2, AC33, AA100 ect.. that could use an indirect formula to get the value of that cell, and those could be put in a drop down.

But named ranges don't work well in formulas,

i sent offer for additional service incase you want to go that route.

And yes you could add to the drop down as long as the named ranges were defined.

The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager

ok ill get working on it

i cant make it work, i tried every function.

so I am forced to conclude that excel is just not capable of doing this the way you want it

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is there another way to accomplish the same thing? Will I still be charged for the macro?

i think you could achieve the same thing by definining the dropdown as an offset

like 1,-1 would say take the cell to the right and below the current cell

-2,0 would say take the cell 2 to the left.

i might be able to incorporate something like that into the function

tested it and this will actually work i think

currently this only works for offsets.

meaning getting a different cell value that is a certain number of rows and columns away from the current cell.

if you want to do other functions with certain ranges based on the cell the formula is in. Then we would have to create other custom functions for that, and it would be at an additional expense.

How do you want to proceed

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I haven’t seen a solution yet so I don’t want to spend anymore. I paid 50 for a macro but haven’t seen anything. I guess I will have to do it with if then statements.

i will send what i have so far, at least it will help you partialy for now

had to put in zip file

you will see that I had to change some of the drop down values to offset values. But you can see what I did with the function and adjust as needed.

You may see a security box when you open the file "enable macros" enable content something to that effect, you have to do that or it wont work

The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager