Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office questions? Ask an IT Expert for support ASAP

I installed Outlook for Mac 2016 but the layout and options…

I installed Outlook for...

I installed Outlook for Mac 2016 but the layout and options that are available are much more simple than what my PC has. Is there a reason for this? Or how do I get the version that offers more indepth options?

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update your Outlook?

Today

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Software Expert to know before I connect you?

I have a business premier account with Microsoft Office if that helps

3/9/2018
bbao
bbao, IT Consultant

> how do I get the version that offers more indepth options

Such as what specific option? Can you please give me an example?

The Mac version I have – the ribbon has 3 tabs, home, organize and tools. Under Home, there are only: New email, new items, delete, archive, reply, reply all, forward, meeting, attachment, move, junk, rules, read/unread, categorize, follow up, filter email...
The PC version – the ribbon has the following tabs: Home, Send/receive, folder, view, tell me what you want to do. Under Home, there are sections, each with sub items: New, Delete, Respond, Quick Steps, Move, Tags, Groups, Find, Add-ins, Dynamics NAV – offering more things like Quick Steps, Tags, Groups, etc...I have screen shots to show the difference attached.

Got the screenshots. Thanks. I am in a remote session, will be with you in 30 mins.

Hello, sorry for replying late as I just finished the previous session.

I know the two Outlook versions look different, especially the Windows version's menu looks comprehensive, but they are basically the same. Just different design styles due to the two OS differences and historical reasons (e.g. for Windows version, the design must be kept compatible with early versions including menu levels and shortcut keys).

If you do want to see a few features on your Mac, please advise and I will find it for you (they just hide under their upper-level button).

Ok. I don’t understand why it is different than what I had on my Mac in the past.

Correct. The previous version on Mac was Office 2011, the first Outlook implementation on Mac, a pure Mac design with lovely icon and pure Mac style for menus and options - I just love it. Before Outlook 2011, it was Entourage 2004 and 2008, as the only Mac client program for Microsoft Exchange server, just an Outlook replacement on Mac but not under the name of "Outlook" due to marketing and technical reasons.

Outlook 2011 shares the same database structure with Entourage 2004 and 2008.

Outlook 2016 is totally new design in terms of GUI, code and interface. It is the first time for Microsoft to unify Office on both Windows and Mac, sharing the same design style and functions.

Ok thanks for the info. Any idea why a lot of the functions are removed from the Mac version? Like quick steps, etc?

If you are referring to the two options highlighted by arrows in your screenshot, they are Outlook add-on for another Microsoft product - Dynamics NAV (which is only available for Windows). Hence you can't see the same thing on your Mac.

No, referring to the section under home “quick steps”

For all options behind Quick Steps ribbon on Windows, they are under Move, Junk and Rules ribbon on your Mac.

Ok thank you for your help.

You are welcome. Is there anything else that I can be of assistance today?

As all concerns have been addressed, can you please kindly rate my service to close this case? Thanks.

bbao
bbao, IT Consultant
I will, thank you so much