Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office questions? Ask an IT Expert for support ASAP

Updates were made on my computer a few days ago. Now

Customer Question
Updates were made on...

Updates were made on my computer a few days ago. Now everything I had on my laptop prior to the updates are gone and I am unable to retrieve any of my documents. I just paid for another year of Microsoft service for a year. Where are my documents?!?!?

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand/model and Operating System (OS) of your laptop?

It's a Toshiba laptop--Satellite C75D-B. Operating system? Windows 10 Home

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Satellite? Have you installed any updates recently?

No, The updates came up automatically and took quite a while to install. I've tried ways to retrieve with suggestions on Ask.com but was only able to retrieve a few documents. Also, the updates took off all the Microsoft Office programs.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

No, I don't think so.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Microsoft Office
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Secure Remote Assistance.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
I forgot to ask what the charge will be for my issues to be resolved
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/9/2018
Microsoft Office Technician: Jeevan DSouza,
 replied 5 months ago
Jeevan DSouza

Hello there and I'm sorry to hear about your issue. I'm JD and I'm here to help you. Here are four things you may try:
1) See if you’re signed in with a temporary profile
2) Look for the files using Search
3) If you still can’t find your files, you may need to restore them from a backup
4) Enable a Windows 7 Administrator account

Let me know if you still need help!

I am not signed in with a temporary profile.
I cannot access the files using search. The documents that do come up are not in Word format, but in Note Pad?
The files weren't backed up.
I couldn't figure out how to change to a Windows 7 Administrator account.I am really angry that I paid for this mess to happen!!
 replied 5 months ago

Sorry I cannot talk right now but I can continue to assist via text

replied 5 months ago

If you created a new Microsoft account when you upgraded,your files may be located in a disabled administrator account. You'll need to enable this account and sign in again to see your files.

In the search box, type computer management and then select the Computer management app.
In the left pane, select Local Users and Groups, and then select Users. If the user named Administrator has a down arrow on its icon Disabled account icon , it’s been disabled.
To enable this account, double-click the Administrator icon Disabled account icon
to open the Properties dialog box. Next, clear the Account is disabled check box, and then select Apply to enable the account.
Sign out and then sign in again using the Administrator account.

Hope this solves the problem!

When I click on Local users and groups, nothing that says "Users" comes up and there is no Administrator. This is just a waste of time and frustration. I will find someone locally who can fix this mess. Thank you for your efforts.
 replied 5 months ago

I'm sorry I could not assist you completely. Please give me a positive rating! Thanks!