Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office questions? Ask an IT Expert for support ASAP

When closing out excel spreadsheet. It creates a temp folder…

Customer Question
Hi Pearl, When closing...

Hi Pearl, When closing out excel spreadsheet. It creates a temp folder on the network share where the excel spread sheet was opened

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update Excel?

We are using a mix bag of office 2011, 2016 maybe two weeks ago

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Excel?

Unticking and ticking the smb file sharing and the

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Microsoft Office
3/9/2018
Microsoft Office Technician: Russell H., Computer Systems Expert replied 4 months ago
Russell H., Computer Systems Expert

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your computer and Excel question.

That might be caused by your on-demand Network File scanner... in your security suite or anti-virus program or internet security program. That can cause temp files on the working area of the Network Share, that don't auto-delete when the Excel spreadsheet is closed.

Also: if your network share is on a Windows 2008 R2 server, you may need to update the server, to hot-fix a problem or bug with files on network shares in certain circumstances.

And regardless of what Windows version of computer or server the network share is on, or what Windows version is on the computer you are running Excel on, it is a good thing to run Windows Update on each computer involved, and install all Critical updates, and all Important updates that relate in any way to network shares, network file sharing, networking functions, or MS Excel, or MS Office, at very least.

And then restart all computers, after *all* updates meeting those descriptions have been downloaded and fully and completely installed... all computers involved in the process and accessing the network share.

That might cure the problem.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Thanks.