Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office questions? Ask an IT Expert for support ASAP

Am trying to get the picture in my Excel footer to go to the…

Hey I am trying...

Hey I am trying to get the picture in my Excel footer to go to the back so my text appears over it. But I can't seem to move it backward?

Technician's Assistant: Is your Excel file saved to cloud storage services like Dropbox, Google Drive, or OneDrive?

Yes to Dropbox? Does this matter?

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Microsoft Office Expert to know before I connect you?

I'm trying to create documents with the company letterhead as a watermark in the background in excel, but the image files are not compatible with excel, so am doing them as header on first page then footer throughout the rest.

1/17/2018
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.
I am very sorry about your issues. Few things first:

1. Are you using Windows or Mac?
  2. What version of Excel are you using?

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.
Best regards,
Jess

Hi, I am using Windows and Excel through my Microsoft Office 365 Subscription.

Thank you for writing back with that information.

Can I remotely access your computer so that I can directly check and fix the issues while you watch on your screen?

Remote access (Secure Remote Assistance) is an optional additional service offer with a minimal one-time flat fee ($20) regardless of how long it will take me to fix the problem. We can resume any time without additional cost. It is safe as you will be watching your screen and we can chat right there, and it will be a faster mode of help.
Please let me know if you want this remote option.
Best regards,
Jess

No thank you, ***** ***** please just tell me how I can fix it?

Ok. I can continue to help you in this chat mode. Can you please tell me what TYPE of image file are you putting in your Excel? Is it a JPG? BMP? PNG?

It's a Jpeg file

Ok. So what you really want is to make the picture a BACKGROUND of some text. To place a text OVER the picture. Correct?

please it's the company logo on the bottom of each page, so I want the text to come over the top.

Are you are doing it on the headers and footers in Excel? Unfortunately, modifying the image in Excel header or footer is NOT possible. Your option is to DESIGN the picture completely using image or graphics editing software, design it to your satisfaction, then use it in the header and footer.

Can you send the logo and your desired text so that I can modify it for you and you can put it in your headers?

Unfortunately the logo/graphic was created by an advertising company so is not able to be ammended. But I do not want to change the graphic, I just want to send it behind my text for each page. Like a watermark - but the file will not load as a watermark.

That is correct, that is NOT possible is Excel. What you can do in Excel is insert the image and the image should be final - no modification is possible.

So my suggestion stands, you need to DO the modification using an image editing software, save it, and then use the modified image as your logo in your Excel. The original logo designed by the advertising company should be intact - you only need to use a copy of it for this purpose.

If you can send the logo to me, I can surely help you do the needed modification.

Thank you for your assistance. Unfortunately I am not permitted to send the image, as it was done by a contracted company. Thank you for your assistance, again though.

You're welcome and I understand the restrictions. I hope you can do my suggestions on your own since I cannot do it for you. But if I can remotely access your computer, I can do it for you without the need of sending the logo to me.

To outline the process:

• You cannot modify the image in the Excel headers or footers. You can only INSERT it so it should be final
  • So if you want to modify the logo, modification should be done outside Excel, using an image editing software. If you do not have such software, a better and FREE software can be downloaded and used. Here is the link:
    https://www.gimp.org/downloads/
  • Download it, install it and then use it to make the modifications that you want.
  • Save the modified image
  • Insert the modified image to your Excel headers

I hope that helped.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!

If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess

Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist