Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office questions? Ask an IT Expert for support ASAP

I have a word file of 542 mb. Word won't open it reason it's…

Hello there. I...

Hello there. I have a word file of 542 mb. Word won't open it reason it's larger than 32 mb in size. (However it will open a 330.4 mb file, both of which contain images and text).

Technician's Assistant: When could you last open your Word?

Just now. Word is fine, just that humungus file is stuck. However I did right click and open it in prieview which enabled me to copy three lines of text I needed. There are some images I would like to copy and it won't allow any activity within the 'preview' viewing.

Technician's Assistant: Did you recently update your software or Operating System (OS)?

No I didn't. The software updates I find irritating as they seem to just add stuff I don't want/need.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Software Expert to know before I connect you?

Only that I have a great deal to learn about this tech world, Pearl.

1/16/2018
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.
I am very sorry about your issues. Few things first:

1. Are you using a Windows computer or a Mac?
  2. What version of MS Word are you using?

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.
Best regards,
Jess

Mac. Word program is 5 or 6 years old.
Email contact is fine thank you

Thank you for writing back. I believe the file is corrupted. Can you send the file to me so that I can check its status and recover your data from it if possible?

You can upload a copy of the file to http://filesXpress.com and tell me when it is done.

Jess apologies I am unable to attach the offending file to this space and the filesXpress contact won't respond either.
Jess I am unable to do this, sorry. The file won't attach to this space.

Hi, I believe it is due to the file corruption. It cannot be copied or uploaded. Can you try to COPY it and then PASTE it to other folders in your computer?

Hello Jess, thank you again for your contact. I'm finding this frustrating as this reply space often wont work to 'send'. Also I'm not sure how I can copy and paste/attach a file that won't open and will only allow me to open it in 'preview' on right click. When it's open in preview it allowed me to copy text into another document but wont allow anything with images and won't allow any work/activity in the file. I no longer need the file as I made a new one: 330 mb. Thank you again.

Thank you for writing back. The mere fact that you were unable to upload the file to the file-sharing site that I gave you, I can conclude that indeed the file is corrupt and that corruption is causing Word not to be able to open it.

Since the file is very big is size, it is so bloated and is very prone to data corruption. It is a good thing that you manually copied the few contents of the corrupted file by way of the preview. I suggest that you abandon that file since even if you can repair it, but due to the bloated size of it, it will surely and easily get corrupted again in the future.

You mentioned that the document contains a lot of pictures. If you are adding a lot of pictures to your document, please DO NOT do it by way of Copy+Paste. That will surely make your document file very bloated as you copy and paste more pictures to it.

The best practice is to use the INSERT method.

I just tried it now, in a 1-page document, I copied and pasted an image, and the size of the resulting file is 825KB. Then I created another file, 1-page document, and I INSERTED a picture (which is the same picture) and the resulting file is only 568KB. That is huge difference especially if you need to add more pictures to the document.

I hope I was able to help.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!

If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess

Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Thank you Jess. I will try the image transfer alternatives you suggest. Quite possibly this has caused the problem as I've had all sorts of issues with transferring images. The document is a small book compiled following a special volunteering time in Northern Territory with poems and many images. Thank you again. Best regards

You're welcome and I am glad I was able to help.

Since you are working with pictures in your MS Word documents, I highly recommend INSERTING them (that is, using the INSERT menu/command) instead of PASTING them inside the pages. Pasting pictures makes your document very bloated and very prone to file corruption.

Thank you for using our service. If you need assistance in the future, you can request me any time by posting a new question starting with "For Jess M" so that I can assist you immediately.

Best regards,
Jess