Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office questions? Ask an IT Expert for support ASAP

I have a document on one drive that wont open because the…

Customer Question
I have a document...

I have a document on one drive that wont open because the file is corrupted. How can I open the document. It represents a weeks work. Would it help to use a different computer?

Technician's Assistant: Which programs (name and version) are you experiencing this issue with?

Microsoft 365, I'm using microsoft word.

Technician's Assistant: What does your screen look like when you try to open Word?

Everything looks normal

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Microsoft Office Expert to know before I connect you?

Everything looks normal, but when I try to open the document, Microsoft apologizes and says it cant be opened.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Microsoft Office
1/16/2018
Microsoft Office Technician: Kris Rodgers, IT Manager replied 7 months ago
Kris Rodgers
Kris Rodgers, IT Manager

Hi
Sorry for the delay, we are busy and I've just got to your question.
How long has this been happening?
Thanks
Kris

It just happened. I tried open and repair, but this didn't work. The document is on microsoft onedrive
Microsoft cannot open because there is a problem with the contents of the document. What does that mean?
Can you open the document if I do remote assistance with you?
Kris, do you have any ideas as to what I should do? I need to recover this document!
Kris, do you want me to connect my device to you, yes or no. If I do that, can you guarantee that you will open the document for me?

Can you tell me the full version please?

Thanks

Kris

Microsoft word as part of Microsoft office, 2016. I get office through microsoft 365 subscription. Using windows 10

OK - to allow me to connect to your PC/MAC, you must install free remote access software.

Please click on this link to the teamviewer website: https://www.teamviewer.com/en/
Click on the "Download Free" box to download and install the software on your computer.
Once installed, reboot your computer.
Upon reboot, open the software from your computer and you will see an ID and Password, please give this to me to connect.
Thanks
Kris

Unfortunately for me, the file became fragmented, and even if it were recovered, large parts of it are missing. It is not worth recovering, and 'll just start over. Thanks for your help.

Ok great