Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office questions? Ask an IT Expert for support ASAP

I have an existing address list I want to alphabetize how do…

Customer Question
I have an existing...

I have an existing address list I want to alphabetize how do I do that?

Technician's Assistant: What application are you using?

It's a word doc

Technician's Assistant: Have you updated Word recently?

Yes

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Microsoft Office
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/7/2018
Microsoft Office Technician: Jason Jones, Computer Technician replied 7 months ago
Jason Jones, Computer Technician

Is the list in a 'Table' format already?

If you wish, I can remotely connect to your computer and show you how to do this. Otherwise, please upload the document to this page by clicking the Add/Send files button.

Thank you,

***** *****

It's attached, but I clicked send and it doesn't seem to have be sent to you

I have the document. Do you wish to alphabetize each address by what is shown on the first line? Do you want to do it by first name or last name?

I sent you the document. I do not want to do remote access. I do not want to pay an additional $39. Can you just tell me how to alphabetize this document please.

You may ignore the automatic offer for remote service. Please, answer the questions that I posted above.

Yest

Do you want to do it by first name or last name?

4 pages 3 columns per page
Jane

I am not following.

I have run out of ideas.

For this reason, I am opting out of the question and allowing another expert the chance to help.

The next expert will see all that is on this page, so there will be no need to repeat anything.

When another expert picks this up, you will be notified by email.

Thank you for your patience.

- Jason

This is very frustrating Goodbye
Microsoft Office Technician: bbao, IT Consultant replied 7 months ago
bbao
bbao, IT Consultant
As the list has multiple columns, what's your preference to sort in colums? By row
, first from up to down then from left to right? Or by column, first from up to down then left to right?
By row
By last name
Thanks for the clarification. I will try it.
Thanks!!

I notice you put all addresses in a single, large table with each cell for one address. This way looks well and can control the layout in an easy way. BUT the biggest issue for sorting addresses is, the data is not structural. Therefore Word can't determine which part of an address is the last name. Word is not smart enough to determine.

To re-organise the data in a structural way, you need to use Excel for source data of the addresses. Then in Word, you use Mail Merge to read the addresses data from Excel with all required info structured and separated, e.g. Last Name is ***** ***** field.

This is the correct way to manage structural data with Word, including generating and sorting directory or list.

Where is the source file of your addresses. If they are in an Excel or CSV file, please upload it here, I can help you convert them into Excel sheet.

I just wanted to know how to do it. Thank you for your response. I’m good from here.

Okay, may I know if have any existing data source file for your address book? Please upload it here, I can help you convert them into Excel sheet.

If you don't any existing file rather than the given address book in Word, I will generate an example for you and show you what to do. Sounds good for you?

I'm good thanks, ***** ***** wanted instructions on how to do it! Thanks for your time.

Sure. I am working on generating an address book and writing the instructions.

Please see attached an example for the personal address book. The Word file is coming soon.