Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office questions? Ask an IT Expert for support ASAP

Geek Squad helped me with a problem with outlook yesterday.

Customer Question
Geek Squad helped me...

Geek Squad helped me with a problem with outlook yesterday. When I tried to turn my computer off it said I had an update. I had to leave work so I just left my computer on. This morning I could not get into my Microsoft office programs and all my e-mail history seems to be gone

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your computer or device?

Windows 10

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update your Outlook?

I think my Outlook is Outlook 10. And it is not just outlook that is a problem. If a try to open Excel I get an error message STDOLE32. If I hit enter it says it will reconfigure office. It doesn't matter whether it is word or excel it tries to reconfigure every time I try to open a Office program

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Software Expert to know before I connect you?

What happened to all my e-mail history

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Microsoft Office
1/5/2018
Microsoft Office Technician: George Sibiya, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 6 months ago
George Sibiya
George Sibiya, Computer Hardware Engineer

Welcome to JustAnswer and thank you for utilising our services

Please check for me if the following which worked with office 2007 can also work on 2016 and Win 10:

==================================================

Hit Windows logo (At least on win 7) --> type regedit
Then, right click on regedit --> select Run as administrator
And click Yes to confirm running regedit as administrator --> click File --> Export
Next type File name and under Export range select All --> click Save
Move to the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Excel.Chart.8
Right Click on Chart.8 --> choose Permissions
And in the Permission windows --> click on Add
Next under Enter the object names to select (examples): type Everyone --> click Check Names
To confirm adding object Everyone --> click OK
As this is finished, click on the Advanced tab --> then under Owner --> click Change
Now again, under “Enter the object names to select (examples): type Everyone” --> Check Names
Next, click OK for confirming adding object Everyone
As the owner of this key is successfully changed, you can see that Owner is changed from System to Everyone. Click Apply and then OK.
And under Permission --> select Everyone --> allow the check box for Full Control and Read
Then, click on Apply --> OK
By pressing F5 refresh registry database, doing this will create a new Sub key below Chart.8 called Protocol
Change the permissions of the key by repeating steps from 7 to 17
And again refresh registry database and follow the same sequence of steps for adding permission to the following Sub keys StdFileEditing\Server.
Next close the registry editor --> reboot your Windows OS.
And after completing the whole process try to run the Microsoft Excel.

But if in case, this won’t solve your problem then restore registry backup file.

To do this select File and --> Import, and move to the registry backup file and click Open. If you successfully restored the registry to the previous start, the below-given notification will appear to you.

Keys and valued contained in backup file (C:\Users\user\Desktop\backup09072017.reg have been successfully added to the registry.

After that, restart your Windows operating system.