Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office questions? Ask an IT Expert for support ASAP

I am using a "revised" Word template to write procedures. My…

Customer Question
Hello. I am...

Hello. I am using a "revised" Word template to write procedures. My problem is, there are times when I delete a Section Break and the OLD header and footer information reappears in my document. How do I get rid of that information permanently?

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your computer or device?

Windows 7 Professional

Technician's Assistant: Did you click Start and open the Programs control panel to uninstall the Word?

Have no idea about that.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Software Expert to know before I connect you?

Clarification: I am using a "revised" Word template. I have not uploaded a recent release of MSWord to my computer.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Microsoft Office
1/4/2018
Microsoft Office Technician: bbao, IT Consultant replied 6 months ago
bbao
bbao, IT Consultant
I think we better work on your file or an example file directly for bettter understanding and efficient troubleshooting. Can you upload a file having the issue please? Thanks.
Attached is the original procedure template (BGSProcedureTemplate8-31-16.dotm and the revised template BGS Procedure Template 11013017.dotm
Changed these to docx files for uploading purposes.

Thanks for sharing the documents. Reviewing.

BTW, just FYI, the two uploaded documents are in DOCX format, not DOTM for template.

Connecting to my system is not an option due to the type of work we do for the government. I changed the file types because your system would not accept the dotms.

Got it.

FYI - Remote Assistance doesn't mean I have to see your screen. The key is to work on shared screen, and the screen can be my screen with the given example files. :)

HINT: compressing all files into a single ZIP file will allow you upload any files here. :)

Thanks for the hint. At this time I do not choose to participate in the secure remote assistance option.BTW: I will need to repetitively perform this fix on additional existing procedures when they are revised so I need the steps showing know how to permanently remove the old header and footer information for multiple files.

No worries.

I understand that. I will advise once I have some findings and suggestions regarding your example files. Thanks.

I was wondering if you have a solution for me?Angie 1-5-18
The key is to remove extra section break and keep using different header for first page for 11-13-17. Just like 3-24-16, which fine.
I am wondering if you know the right method to remove a section break, I hereby give an official article for your reference. Please let me know if you have further concerns or qeustions. Thanks.https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Delete-a-section-break-1e12f200-7215-4688-a55a-5130f383dc5f
Thank you for your response, but I think this problem is more complex than removing the Section Break. Somewhere in the coding of the template is stored previous header and footer information.I've never had this problem before and I've been creating and revising templates since 2001.
It looks like not that complicated in my point of view. :)
If you are worried about something wrong and hidden in document, you can enable showing them in your Word. Please follow below way to do it.https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Show-or-hide-formatting-marks-c2d8a607-5646-4165-8b08-bd68f9d172a0
This information was not helpful.
I am not even 25% satisfied with the information I have received.Please refund my money.Thank you.

Okay, how could you let me demonstrate that I am correct?

1. Offer you a FREE remote session to demonstrate that? $5 extra charge required then can be refunded.

2. Upload a document with the issue fixed?

3. Something else you suggest?

If you had read the email string, you would see that connecting to my network is not an option. You have also assumed that I don't know anything about Word and insulted my experience. It is obvious to me that you haven't even worked with the files in an attempt to provide an answer. REFUND MY MONEY!

Okay. I opt out and please speak with JustAnswer Customer Services for any of your billing concerns.