Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office questions? Ask an IT Expert for support ASAP

I had trouble with Microsoft office after my computer

Customer Question
I had trouble with...

I had trouble with Microsoft office after my computer upgraded to windows 10. I reinstalled Office Home and Student which I was able to do but I cannot enter the product key. When I do to open Word or Excel it asks for the product key and when I enter it I get the message 'the key is incorrect. it seems to only accept 24 letters/numbers and not 25. Can you help?

Technician's Assistant: When you right-click your Word file, do you get the option to "Restore previous versions"?

No I don't

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Microsoft Office
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/2/2018
Microsoft Office Technician: Jess M., Computer Support Specialist replied 7 months ago
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.
I am very sorry about your issues. Few things first:

1. What version of MS Office are you using?
  2. Is the product key that you are entering the one shipped with the DVD installer?

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.
Best regards,
Jess

Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 and yes I'm using the one on the package from the DVD
no I don't want remote assistance

Thank you for writing back with that information. Please go to Control Panel => Programs and Features and then check if you have other versions (newer or older) of MS Office that is installed. If you find one, please uninstall it and let me know.

nothing else there, just the Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 and Microsoft OneDrive
are you still there?

I am still here. Please uninstall Microsoft OneDrive and tell me when done.

done

Also, did you run the installation using the DVD?

Another thing, in entering the Product Key, you just need to type the characters correctly, the dashes are automatically provided as you type.

I used the DVD and I'm not entering the dashes etc.. I see they are automatically provided. when it gets to the last letter there isn't room and it doesn't appear
I'm still getting the message the key is incorrect. the last number does appear now

Ok. Here is a trick in entering the product key:

1. Open NOTEPAD
  2. There, enter the Product Key that you see on the DVD package. Please double check what you type
  3. COPY the product key from Notepad
  4. In the Activation screen, do not enter manually. Instead, PASTE what you copied. See if it is accepted this time.
I don't see NOTEPAd, only miscrosoft office onenote 2007 and again it asks for the product code

Please type it in the search box, it should show up

same message when I copy to NOTEPAD and paste
I will try and unstall and reinstall and see what happens as it seems we are not having any luck. Thanks