Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office questions? Ask an IT Expert for support ASAP

I just found that several important passwords and account…

Customer Question
Hi, I just found...

Hi, I just found that several important passwords and account numbers were deleted from a notebook in OneNote. How can I retrieve these? They’re VERY important!

Technician's Assistant: Is your OneNote file saved to cloud storage services like Dropbox, Google Drive, or OneDrive?

I believe so but can’t figure out how to access it. Problem is I added a couple notes to that page today before I realized the lost acct #s. My understanding is that it updates each time you enter anything. So, if I added to the notebook with the missing acct #s, won’t those lost numbers now be gone since the update overrode it today?

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Microsoft Office Expert to know before I connect you?

I don’t think so

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Microsoft Office
FYI, I HAVE A WINDOWS PHONE AND AN IPAD AIR, BUT THEIR SYNCED (I GUESS THRU ICLOUD?) hope that helps.
12/24/2017
Microsoft Office Technician: bbao, IT Consultant replied 6 months ago
bbao
bbao, IT Consultant

At first, immediately disconnect ALL devices synced with OneNote, e.g. turn off the wireless or turn on aeroplane mode. Then check if any device still has the old version?

How do they synced? Using OneDrive or by default your Microsoft account? Is there any local version on the computer based OneNote?

I don’t think that’s the answer. I need to figure out how to retrieve them lost info from iCloud with which I have an account. I tried following OneNotes instructions but they dont make sense on my iPad version or my windows phone. If I could get to iCloud maybe I could try to find them but I’ve never accessed iCloud, I’m not tech savvy.

> I don’t think that’s the answer.

Correct, this is NOT the answer. This is the just the first step, just a key step to prevent things from getting worse.

The 2nd step is to recover the OneNote file from your computer. What's the operating system running on your OneNote? A remote assistance is required, so I can help you check the OneNote related folders for possible recovery.

I have iOS iPad, but a windows phone. I just don't understand the instructions you sent, sorry:(
I guess you can forget the Step 1 now, as all your devices should have been synced already when we discuss that via messages.
Do you agree to let me remotely connect to your computer for troubleshooting?
Which device, my windows phone or ipad?
Sorry, if you have only a Windows phone and an iPad, I can't do remote session. I opt out and let other experts step in to help.
Microsoft Office Technician: Pete, Computer Expert replied 6 months ago
Pete, Computer Expert

You can only recover a previous version of the notes if you have a backup to restore from.

If you have made backups regularly then do the following:

1. Click File > Info > Open Backups.

2. In the Open Backup dialog box, double-click the folder of the notebook you want to restore, select the notebook section you want, and then click Open.

OneNote now displays the Open Sections area, where you can review the pages in the section you just opened from your backup files.

3. To restore notes, do either of the following:

• To restore the entire backed-up section, right-click its section tab and then click Move or Copy.

• To restore only specific pages from the backed-up section, right-click the page tabs you want and then click Move or Copy.

4. In the Move or Copy dialog box, select where the backed-up section or pages should be placed, and then click Copy.

5. When your notes have been restored, right-click the backed-up section and click Close.

6. Re-select your original notebook from the Notebooks list to continue working in it.

On my iPad version there is no place to click “file” “open” or backups on OneNote.

Use a computer to sign into the OneNote website on Office 365:

https://www.onenote.com/hrd

Thanks Pete, but none of these instructions work on my iOS version of OneNote on my iPad. First, iOS automatically backs up data to iCloud. No action needed on my part to back up data. Secondly, the menus on my version just aren’t the same as you described. I found my own solution by going to the online version of OneNote. I’m sorry, but I don’t wish to pay for any of the advice offered from this site, since none of it was pertinent nor did it solve my issue. Thank you for your time, though, and very happy holidays to you.

Ok, Happy Holidays!
Pete.