Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office questions? Ask an IT Expert for support ASAP

Once upon a time, I had WORD on this very old computer. Now…

Customer Question
Once upon a time...

Once upon a time, I had WORD on this very old computer. Now I cannot find it andwant to write a personal letter on it. How can I get it back?

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update Word?

I cannot remember--if ever..

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Word?

There is no W on the list

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Software Expert to know before I connect you?

.I am 92 years old and not technology oriented! I need a lot of help!

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Microsoft Office
12/16/2017
Microsoft Office Technician: ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast replied 7 months ago
ChrisC
ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you today!

If Word is actually still on the computer, you should be able to open it by following these steps:

1. Hold down the Windows Key on the keyboard (two keys to the left of the spacebar) and press the R key. This will bring up your Run box in the lower-left corner.

2. In the Run box, type in WINWORD and press OK.

If this doesn't launch Word or gives an error, then that means somehow Word was removed from the machine. If that's the case, the only way to reinstall would be to have the actual Office installation disc.

It sounds like you may not have that, so I would recommend using Wordpad to write your letter. Wordpad is another, simpler, word processing program that should be installed on the machine.

To access Wordpad, please follow the instructions I gave above, but instead of typing WINWORD into the Run box, type WORDPAD and press OK.

If you have any other questions on this, just let me know.

NOTE: Before leaving this page, please use the rating box at the top of the page to rate the answer at least 3 STARS or better so that I receive credit for assisting you. Just click to rate.

Are you still with me? Do you have any further questions on this?

If so, you can reply back via the box below.

If you have no further questions, please remember to rate the answer at least 3 STARS or better to close out our session for today.