Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office Questions? Ask a IT Expert for Support ASAP

Microsoft Office

After truncating a spreadsheet to eliminate blank lines, I…

Customer Question
After truncating a spreadsheet...

After truncating a spreadsheet to eliminate blank lines, I an saving it as a CSV file. S/W was rejecting the files. We opened them in notepad++ and they had ",,,,,,,,,,,," in the last line. We are dealing with some share directories. Another day, the tool refused to delete data at the end of the ss and we got messages about too many rows. The 2nd thing happened to more than 1 person. The other thing has only happened to me. This makes me feel very special!

Technician's Assistant: Which programs (name and version) are you experiencing this issue with?

Sorry, not @ work today.

Technician's Assistant: Is your spreadsheet saved to cloud storage services like Dropbox, Google Drive, or OneDrive?

No.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Microsoft Office Expert to know before I connect you?

No, that's it. I wanted some ammo if I had to defend myself because this kind of stuff stresses everyone out. Nobody needs this. I now know what to look for and how to fix it but I wondered why is it happening to me?

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Microsoft Office
12/13/2017
Microsoft Office Technician: bbao, IT Consultant replied 2 months ago
bbao
bbao, IT Consultant

Do you mean Excel can't recognize it? Which version is it please?

Neither operation got a complaint from excel. One contained commas on the last line and the other sent a non-truncated csv file to the directory. I mentioned both because they seem to be related to the truncate operation ( sorry if that is the wrong excel terminology ).Excel 2013 15.0.4989.1000 32 bit

Do you mean you always or occasionally got something wrong for the last line in plain text file when exporting data from Excel spreadsheet into CSV?

I guess I am having S/W issues with these CSV files 66% of the time. The lady I inherited this task from doesn't seem to have the same issue. We should be doing things pretty nearly the same way ( I am using her directions ).On the day where it didn't truncate any data, it ( Excel ) was behaving the same way: Acting as if everything was peachy but the CSV files were massive in the destination directory. Also, got a S/W complaint about the number of rows.

Please upload a few CSV files having the issue for review. You need to compress them in to a ZIP file otherwise the CSV file extension can't be accepted by the system.

Sorry, they can't be shared with you. They are relatively small and very low tech. I just couldn't believe I was having issues with excel on such a common procedure. I can now spot and correct both issues so I am way ahead of the game. I did want to discover what is causing the issue if at all possible. It would also be good for my peace of mind to know other users have encountered this problem before.The one thing I will bring up is the shared directories < with security >. If the output directories imposed some sort of restriction when network traffic was high, couldn't that cause weirdness? I have quit working in the shares. I do it all on my pc and then copy ss's and CSV's to the shares when I am finished with it. Both of us recently installed a Splash BI add on to our boxes ( for Excel ). My co-worker hasn't had the leftover comma problem when truncating a spreadsheet that has plagued me.
I actually only need to know the binary content (sometimes the chars can't be visible, or technically control chars) of the very beginning and very end of the CSV file. Commonly caused by exporting program's controlling options. Then I can let you how to handle that by either changing export option or running a few commands to remove the hidden chars.If a few CSV example files can't be shared, we may do this via a secure remote session. That way I can demonstrate how to check and what to do directly on your computer. Please request it from your side.
NewITZone
NewITZone
NewITZone, Computer Enthusiast