Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office questions? Ask an IT Expert for support ASAP

I am having in issue with Word 2016 having to do with

Customer Question
Hi there, I am...

Hi there, I am having in issue with Word 2016 having to do with hanging indents - namely, the hanging indent I specify won't "keep" -- it reverts to a previously formatted indent which I cannot change.

Technician's Assistant: Is your Word file saved to cloud storage services like Dropbox, Google Drive, or OneDrive?

No, it resides on my hard drive.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Microsoft Office Expert to know before I connect you?

I don't think so. Thanks,

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Microsoft Office
12/12/2017
Microsoft Office Technician: flopcat98, Consultant replied 8 months ago
flopcat98
flopcat98, Consultant

Hi, I'm Robert and I'll be helping you with your computer question.

that probably has to do with the sections you are specifying the hanging indent for. try highlighting the whole page before setting the hanging indent

you also want to make sure that you are setting the hanging indent and not the first line indent

these two pages show the different icons on the ruler for hanging and first line indents

this one shows the hanging indent in the purple box on the ruler

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Create-a-hanging-indent-7bdfb86a-c714-41a8-ac7a-3782a91ccad5

this one shows the first line indent in the purple box on the ruler

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Create-a-first-line-indent-b3721167-e1c8-40c3-8a97-3f046fc72d6d

OK, but that's not the problem. The problem is this: I create a new, numbered style. I specify a hanging indent of 0.5 inch. However, the 0.5 inch hanging indent is replaced with a 0.25 inch indent when ever I renumber a paragraph that is assigned this style. I need to know where a "hidden" indent value resides that overrides the 0.5 inch indent value that is specified in the style. Where is this override coming from? This also occurs with the two other numbered styles that I created. The specified indent value is constantly overidden by another value -- a value I did not set.
Connecting to my laptop is not the answer. Finding out where the indent override comes from is the issue. I already know how to set tabs and hanging indents.
I've been trying to solve this problem for more than a year.
It looks like a bug, plain and simple. Is there a fix for it?
OK, that's enough for today. Maybe you can figure out something tomorrow.
You need to do more work before you charge me a penny. Do NOT charge me if you can't answer my question.

Can you send me a sample of your file so I can look at ithe please