Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office questions? Ask an IT Expert for support ASAP

Need to recover password to get on Microsoft XPPro with my…

Customer Question
Need to recover password...

Need to recover password ***** get on Microsoft XPPro with my 2006 Acer TravelMate.

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your TravelMate?

I have 512 ROM in a model TM4220AWLMi. Serial #: LXTCJ0608662801F752500

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your TravelMate? Have you installed any updates recently?

No. This is an old laptop that still works, but it recently started to ask for a password ***** start up. It has not done this before.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

Here is what the screen shows when I start up the computer: a "Log On to Windows" box with my use name (Lee Johnson) and a place for putting the Password. But I do not think I have a password. Or it was so many years ago, that I cannot remember it.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Microsoft Office
12/8/2017
Microsoft Office Technician: bbao, IT Consultant replied 7 months ago
bbao
bbao, IT Consultant
Can I first know which kind of password ***** is? BIOS password ***** reboot, or Windows password ***** logon screen?
It is Windows password ***** logon screen.
Do you still have the genuine XP disc came with the laptop? Or, do you have another working PC for downloading tools from the internet?
My other computer (which I am using now) is a MacBookPro. There is no point spending a lot of money to get the 2006 Acer TravelMate past the password ***** It is simply a mystery as to why the logon to Windows now requires a password, whereas it never used to. The old Acer worked just fine until that password ***** occurred, just recently, unannounced.
I do not know where the XP disc is, btw.

You don't need to pay extra for the tools to be suggested as they are all free. However, you do need to pay for our service on this page. :-)

Do you have any Virtual Windows environment on your MacBook Pro? Prefer using Windows to create the bootable USB/Disc for resetting password, as OSX always save its index files on external USB, which is useless for Windows tools.

Please just refund my $5 "good faith" money. I will simply recycle the old Acer laptop. It is not worth any further expense.

Okay, I opt out now. Please speak with customer services for all billing concerns and refund. Thanks.

Thanks "bbao": basically, you have said that I cannot reset the password ***** the image-disc or with my MacBookPro as a second computer because it does not do Microsoft. So, I'll take the old Acer TravelMate to IT people I know to see if they can come up with something.