Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office questions? Ask an IT Expert for support ASAP

I have a program composed in two sheets one with data and…

Customer Question
I have a program...

I have a program composed in two sheets one with data and one that receives whaever I write on the data sheet using the formula=DATA!$B$2 and changing the figures according to the cell I want filled and placed on the sheet receiving information, what I want to be done is that whenever a cell is filled and transferted to the receiiving sheet that the cell on the receiving sheet changes to a certain color always the same color for whaever cell is changed, Can it be done? Thanks for your answer

Technician's Assistant: What application are you using?

Excel 2016

Technician's Assistant: Have you updated Excel recently?

Yes

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Microsoft Office Expert to know before I connect you?

Just the answer if there is one - Thanks

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Microsoft Office
12/2/2017
Microsoft Office Technician: bbao, IT Consultant replied 4 months ago
bbao
bbao, IT Consultant

Can you please upload the Excel sheet for review? This will be easier for understanding. Thanks.

Hello, are you still there with me?

I have enclosed a copy of the form, and I have added a third sheet(FORM2) to show what I want to be done once the data is written on the DATA sheet. some formulas have been placed on combined cells as is the case of names and explanations which require more space when filled, so in a few words what I want is that those formulas that become active in the FORM change to a fill color to distinguish them from the rest and make them more easy to read looking just to the color filled cells (the form will be printed at all times for distribuition)
I can not change the amount invoiced since I have contacted my customer and he has approved the initial amount of $543.00 Pesos initilally quoted, anyway thanks for the opportunity to do it faster.

You can do this using Conditional Formatting. For example,

1. Click the cell to be automatically highlighted for receiving value.

2. Choose Condition Formatting > Highlight Cells Rules > More Rules

3. Choose No Blanks at Format only cells with.

4. Click Format... button then Fill tab then choose a colour, click OK button

Be aware the condition in the above method, the original data field must be blank (such as " ") in order to turn off highlights in the receiving sheets.

Please see attache the screenshot and my sample in your workbook for your reference.

Please let me know if it is something you are after. Thanks.

FYI - you may change the rule from "No Blanks" to equal or not equal given value for a number field (non-text field).

BBAO: I haved done what you proposed I highlighted the cells which I am interested to change when a CHANGE IN THE DATA SHEET GOES ON, but this didnt happen since all the cells were highlighted in yellow, lets say that if I only cj¿hange or write in one of the cells of the DATA sheet like I have done in the enclosed sample file then only that cxell in the QDR sheet would change, that is what I want to happen and once all the cells have been placed blank on the DATA sheet the highlighting on the QDR sheet also goes blank (only the formula stays put., I hope I have been explict of mwhat I need - Thanks
P.S.See the commentary notes on the cells in the DATA and QDR sheets .

Thanks for sharing your workbook.

> CHANGE IN THE DATA SHEET GOES ON

basically, this way (using conditional formatting) does NOT support detecting any changes in the datasheet goes on. It only supports detecting blank or non-blank (data filled in) in the datasheet.

In other words, if a cell changes from blank to any value, or from any value to blank, it will show highlighted or not highlighted.

If a cell changes from a value to another, say from 1 to 2, or from "abc" or "efg", it won't be detected, or highlighted.

Moreover, as mentioned above blank means at least one space " ", empty field such as null doesn't mean blank. I changed F3, F6 and F13 to blank just as a demo for you. Please see attached your file revised.

Thanks.

BBAO: I have used the example you sent, the first thing I did was to remove the in formation from the DATA sheet, and the yellow color persisted on the QDR sheet, in orde to get finished this proiblem what I need is that all the cells in the QDR sheet who has a formula, whenever there is information on the DATA sheet that affects the formula on any certain cells (this can be depending on what the user wants to be done) then highlight the cell on the QDR form, When. the DATA sheet has been cleaned of thne information, then also the cells on the QDR form are cleaned of the highlight color, if this can not be done in Conditional Formatting, perhaps cen be done with a VBA program, I don't know I am not that expert to know, and that's the reason I have asked to Just Answer, I am very pleased with all the effort you have placed on this problem - Thanks
Hi, BBAO Are you still interested in tackling my problem? let me know so whatever your answer is then I will take action in order to find it solved. I thank you in advance your prompt reply, - ADLG
> first thing I did was to remove the in formation from the DATA sheet, and the yellow color persisted on the QDR sheet.
> user wants to be done) then highlight the cell on the QDR form, When. the DATA sheet has been cleaned of thne information, then also the cells on the QDR form are cleaned of the highlight color,I guess you haven't noticed the point below that I have mentioned twice aboveBe aware the condition in the above method, the original data field must be blank (such as " ") in order to turn off highlights in the receiving sheets> perhaps cen be done with a VBA programNot necessary, and it will make things complicated.However, I think a remote session is really necessary now, as in that interactive way I can demonstrate what to do and you can clearly understand the tricks.
Hi, I just asked my son to bring my laptop to the hospital since I have been hit with Influence and with high temperatures, I still will remain here a few days, so when I return home we will continue with this problem in the meanwhile see if you can fullfill what my customer wants with this program otherwise if you can not tackle this problem, perhaps some other consultant would find a way to see it happen - Thanks (this message has been written by my son since I am not well enough to do it)

Thanks heaps for your update. Please take your time to recover fully. No worries. Take care.

bbao
bbao
bbao, IT Consultant