Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office questions? Ask an IT Expert for support ASAP

I am merging a Word primary document with an excel secondary…

Customer Question
I am merging a...

I am merging a Word primary document with an excel secondary document to get a phone list. When I finish and merge, I am getting every other record, not every record. So if I have a Jones1, Jones2 and Jones3, on the directory, it only shows Jones1 and Jones3.

Technician's Assistant: Is your Word file saved to cloud storage services like Dropbox, Google Drive, or OneDrive?

No, both documents reside on my hard drive

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Microsoft Office Expert to know before I connect you?

No, that's it

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Microsoft Office
11/28/2017
Microsoft Office Technician: Jason Jones, Computer Technician replied 7 months ago
Jason Jones, Computer Technician

I look forward to helping you today.

Are you transferring the data from Word to Excel or Excel to Word?

I will be standing by, looking forward to your response.
Thank you,
Jason

The primary document (directory with merge fields) is in Word. The secondary (data) document is in Excel.

Okay, the data is in Excel and your goal is to transfer it to Word, correct?

May I take a look at both of the documents? You may upload them to this page by clicking the Add/Send file button.

No. The finished document will be in Word. I am taking a Word document with merge fields in it and merging it with an excel document with column headings named the same as the merge fields, so that in the end I have a Word document with all the merged data listed. I used the same method to get mailing labels and it worked fine. I am now trying to get a phone directory with all merged fields (not just the address fields) but am having trouble.

Thank you for the update. You are doing just as I thought.

Are you saying "no" to me looking at the documents that I asked for?

I paid $5 to get your answer. I do not need to pay more. I think it's something in the merge field instructions. For some reason it is not going to Next Record, but going to every other record. This is the merge field instructions. I used the same ones (without anything other than Salutation, Street1, Street2, city, state, zip and country in order to get my labels.«File_under»
«Combined_name»
«Salutation»
«email_1»
«email_2»
«home»
«work»
cell: «cell_phone»
«fax»
«street1»
«street2»
«city», «state» «zip»
«country»«Next Record»

The $5 was a deposit. It appears that the total charge appears to have been $40.70 (USD).

Do you wish to continue or do you want me to send in a refund request for you?

No. Send a refund. I appreciate the attempt but $40 is excessive. Thank you. I'll just keep playing with it.

Thank you

I am not going to rate you. I suspect that you are knowledgeable but feel the way the service is presented is not truthful.
Microsoft Office Technician: bbao, IT Consultant replied 7 months ago
bbao
bbao, IT Consultant
It seems your source date in Excel file has something wrong in data arrangement, or you changed something not to import all items. Can I ask you upload the Excel and Word files for review? Thanks.
If I do that, I’m assuming I will be agreeing to the $40 charge I asked to be refunded. So no, I’ll continue to troubleshoot myself. Eventually I’ll figure it out. Thanks.
No, uploading files review still belongs to service scope of this page. You will not be charged for remote assistance, simply because it is not that.
I am a little confused by that. You are assisting and you are remote. Since I asked for a full refund, I don’t feel entitled to use your service.
Sure. I opt out now.FYI - yes, we are remote, and that's basically how the site works, giving our customers best support resources available around the world. Thanks for visiting JustAnswer.