Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office questions? Ask an IT Expert for support ASAP

Dustin, I word 2016. I had two documents open and saved the…

Customer Question
Dustin, I word 2016...

Dustin, I word 2016. I had two documents open and saved the one over the other. There are no previous versions. Is there anything I can do?

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update Word?

Like the program?

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Word?

Went to info and tried to restore a previous version. it was empty

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Microsoft Office
11/26/2017
Microsoft Office Technician: Russell H., Computer Systems Expert replied 7 months ago
Russell H., Computer Systems Expert

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
If document A was saved to document B, but if the window showing document B in its original state is still open, then:

- Save document B, to document B's file name!

That will save it... then save document A to document A's file name to be sure this problem doesn't happen over again (for subtle reasons.)

If the original document B editing window is closed, this cannot be done. Reply To Expert please, and let me know, and I will help further as needed.

Document A has been saved as Document A and Document B. I need the last save of document B before it became document A
the file was replaced. Can I get it back?

Is the window with the original document B in it, still open? that's important.

No

OK, so the solution isn't that easy... and I presume you have no backup of an older version of Doc. B on another device, or in another directory, or anything like that.

Nope

First question, is Autorecover option enabled in your Word 2016 ?

Second: perhaps if you try

File

Info

Manage Document

Recover Unsaved Documents

in MS Word, you will find it among the 'unsaved documents' since you didn't save the older version of document B perhaps, in your last editing session...?

No to both

Try this then:

File

Info

Manage Documents

(When I closed without saving)

Then click on COMPARE in order to see how the various versions visible there are/were saved/contain/etc.

And decide whether one of them is the 'document B' you want to salvage. Proceed carefully - if one of them IS what you want to salvage, stop dead, don't do anything from there, ask me how to proceed. (Unless you can simply choose to Save or Recover or Copy etc. the old document B in question... unless it's obviously safe to proceed at that point.)

Manage documents is empty, nothing to compare
I need to revert somehow to the old file

You may be out of luck.

Is the 'document B' file one that you previously saved a different or the original version of? has it been so edited and saved for a while?

I saved it right before I wrote over it

Another suggestion, then:

Open the file you were working on.

Near the far right end of the ribbon, click the Activity button to see a list of all the historical versions in the Activity pane. (The Activity button is only present when a file is stored in OneDrive, OneDrive for Business, or SharePoint.)

I don’t have one drive active act
It’s on my hard drive

Another suggestion, recover the previous version by Windows facilities:

Open Windows Explorer

navigate to the folder where the file was located

Right-click anywhere inside this folder and select Properties from the context menu.

After that, select the Previous Versions tab and look for an earlier version of the overwritten file.

And then if it (an older version than the disastrous save) is found, let me know

No previous versions available

Then you may simply have lost it beyond recovering, since all available options for recovery of the older version have been looked at and found wanting. I'm sorry to say it, but that seems to be the only conclusion possible in this case... unless you remember an older version of the file saved somewhere that you can edit back to current status-as-it-should-be...

I suggest that the best thing you can do is, to try enabling AutoRecover, now, not later, in MS Word... so that this cannot happen again:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Help-protect-your-files-in-case-of-a-crash-551c29b1-6a4b-4415-a3ff-a80415b92f99?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

Yeah I did but it appears to be to late

I'm sorry to think of that. One document lost is still better, perhaps, than more than one lost.

Since I have not heard back from you, I am assuming that my answer was helpful and provided what you needed to help toward a solution. (Was it?)

If I have indeed answered your question, please rate my answer, using the five-star interface on your JustAnswer page. - A five-star rating would be appreciated. Thank you.

(If this didn't answer your question, if you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond, and I will help you further to a solution.)