Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office questions? Ask an IT Expert for support ASAP

I've been getting the error that Word cannot open the

I've been getting the...

I've been getting the error that Word cannot open the existing global template (normal. dotm)

Technician's Assistant: When did you purchase your computer? What troubleshooting have you tried?

My Macbook has been with me for some years now. The only troubleshooting I've done is to delete the normal.dotm file and Word created a new one but still I get the same error.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Microsoft Office Expert to know before I connect you?

My Autotext templates were in my old normal.dotm file which I renamed OldNormal.dotm in case there is a possibility I could get it back. I need these autotext for my work.

11/21/2017
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.
I am very sorry about your issues. Few things first:

1. Are you unable to use your Word program now due to this error message?
  2. What version of Word are you using?

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.
Best regards,
Jess

I am able to use Word. I'm using version 15.40. The problem is every time I close Word and open it I get these pesky notifications and also I cannot access my Autotext templates I've created for my work because they have all been stored in the global normal.dotm template.

Thank you for writing back with that information.

Have you tried to delete the entire "Normal" folder (not just the normal.dotm file)?

There is no normal folder. Just the template folder. I will try deleting all the contents within the folder.
It seems to have worked for now will monitor it just in case the problem recurs. However, there seems to be no way for me to retrieve my Autotext entries, which have made my work so much easier.

Thank you for writing back and I am glad that it is working at least for now. Please let me know if the problem reoccurs.

Regarding your autotext, I believe your entries were saved in the original Normal.dot file that you have already deleted before we started. If the normal file was corrupted causing you to try to delete it for Word to rebuild the normal template, then your autotext entries were already gone with the file.

Also, if the problem reoccurs, please try to check your disk permission. You can do Repair Permission on your disk to fix most software related problems on your Mac.

I hope that helped.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!

If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess

Jess M., Computer Support Specialist

I noticed that you posted a duplicate question. Please let us continue here.

Have you tried to perform "Repair Disk Permissions" on your Mac?

Not yet how is that done?

Ok, please do these steps:

1. Open a Finder window and open Utilities
  2. Open Disk Utility
  3. Click on First Aid tab
  4. Click on Repair Permissions button

Please run First Aid then see if there is repair permissions option

I did but no repair permissions button
But i did find out something new the normal.dotm file is normally 31kb as long as it stays that way I don’t get an error
I only get an error when it changes to 200 plus kb and that happens when I add new autotext templates in microsoft word
the reason I didn’t get an error before was because I didn’t add any new autotext but once i did and the file changed from 31 to 200 plus kb then the error occurs
now that i know what causes the error my problem is how do i save my autotext which i need for my work

Ah OK. I believe there is a way to save the autotext entries OUTSIDE of the Normal.dot file. Please give me a moment.

Please give it a try. When you create a NEW autotext entry, do you see the option "Save In"? Please check if you have an option to select another template file instead of Normal.dotm.

I decided to make a workaround and just constantly save a backup of the noncorrupted normal.dotm file in my usb. Everytime my normal.dotm gets corrupted i just replace it with the old one

That should work as well. But if your Word has the option to SAVE your autotext entries in another template file, that should prevent the modification of the normal template so that you no longer need to replace the normal template.

Unfortunately there is no option to ‘Save In’

Ah ok. So saving autotext entries will really modify the Normal.dotm file.

unfortunately. It is actually a hit or miss for now there are times when i save autotext that doesn’t corrupt the normal.dotm but there are times that it does.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist