Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office questions? Ask an IT Expert for support ASAP

I am coinstantly getting calls that say they are from

Customer Question
I am coinstantly getting...

I am coinstantly getting calls that say they are from Microsoft....I have others also trying to call about my computer. How do I know if it is really a call from Microsoft. They are always saying my computer is being damaged. When I do McAfee it says my computer is being damaged

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your machine, and what operating system are you running?

My computer is an HP2310m and I think it is the home version 7

Technician's Assistant: When did you purchase your computer? What troubleshooting have you tried?

It's quite old probably 8 years old...I have McAfee on my screen but don't know if I should try it....I just switched from AOL to AOL Gold I thought they were going to check the McAfee but everyone was switching to Gold and they were extremely busy.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Microsoft Office Expert to know before I connect you?

No, I just want to make sure I'm dealing with Microsoft and not some foreign person who keeps calling me and constantly wants me to do a repair I get calls from 800 (###) ###-####and(###) ###-####constantly

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Microsoft Office
11/19/2017
Microsoft Office Technician: Jess M., Computer Support Specialist replied 8 months ago
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

Any company that claims your computer is infected, or has been sending errors, or claims to have any direct affiliation with Microsoft is a SCAM if they are calling you or somehow getting in touch with you to repair your computer, fix errors, or remove viruses.

Chances are good that your computer is running just fine and they will charge hundreds of dollars for services you do not need. Most of them in fact will offer to remotely access your computer to fix the issue when the truth is, they will only install something in your computer to make you DEPENDENT on their support.

Please avoid dealing with these companies and inform them that you know they are a scam and that if they continue to call, you'll report them to the Internet Crime Bureau, which you can file a complaint with here: http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx

For more information about this so-called “Microsoft Support Scam”, please refer to this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/security/online-privacy/avoid-phone-scams.aspx

If you already paid, then I would file a dispute with your credit card company.

Now, if you suspect your computer is infected, and that McAfee has not totally protected your system, please follow the procedures below to run Malwarebytes cleanup to ensure that your computer is malware-free. Some malwares are not detected and removed by McAfee.

Here is the link:

https://www.malwarebytes.com/

Just download the FREE version. No need to buy the commercial version.

After downloading, run to install Malwarebytes. After installing, perform a quick scan and remove any threats that Malwarebytes find.

I hope that helped.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!

If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess