Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office questions? Ask an IT Expert for support ASAP

I'm looking for an excel formula to help me out with some…

I'm looking for an excel...
I'm looking for an excel formula to help me out with some marketing. I do direct marketing to homeowners and I download a spreadsheet from the County tax website to do the mailings. But the County site downloads the home owners name in one cell with their last name first and an asterisk between names, example.... Smith John * Smith Jane. I would prefer that it be first name first and say ***** ***** & ***** ***** or John & ***** *****. If that's not possible then just ***** ***** would work as well if there is a way to just erase the second name. Also some listings will have middle initials, some have just 1 name and some have more than 2 names which further complicates it. Retyping hundreds of names to make them the correct format for an address label is a time consuming task, so I was looking for a formula that could do it automatically.
11/19/2017
bbao
bbao, IT Consultant
Okay, which do you prefer? Just a formula as the answer, or you upload your workbook so I can modify it accordingly to make sure the formula workable in your workbook?
I'm not at home right now to upload a file. Just a formula would be fine.
Okay won't be long. Let me test before posting the answer. Thanks.

Say A2 is the cell containing original name pattern, then the your name pattern in formula is:

=MID(A2,FIND(" ",A2,1)+1,FIND(" ",A2,FIND(" ",A2,1)+1)-FIND(" ",A2,1))&" "&LEFT(A2,FIND(" ",A2,1)-1)&" & "&RIGHT(A2,LEN(A2)-FIND(" ",A2,FIND(" ",A2,FIND(" ",A2,FIND(" ",A2,1)+1)+1)+1))&" "&MID(A2,FIND(" ",A2,FIND(" ",A2,FIND(" ",A2,1)+1)+1)+1,FIND(" ",A2,FIND(" ",A2,FIND(" ",A2,FIND(" ",A2,1)+1)+1)+1)-FIND(" ",A2,FIND(" ",A2,FIND(" ",A2,1)+1)+1))

Confused how it is generated? Please see my workbook here explaining how it works.

bbao
bbao, IT Consultant
That looks awesome, thanks. I'll try it as soon as a get home.
Thanks heaps for accepting my answer and especially for the bonus. It was a great pleasure working with you.