Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office questions? Ask an IT Expert for support ASAP

Since earlier this afternoon, I cannot open ANY of my Word…

Customer Question
Since earlier this afternoon...

Since earlier this afternoon, I cannot open ANY of my Word .docx files, including files I've opened before. I keep getting a message about possible invalid files names (they're not invalid) as well as (sometimes) another message about changes to the "normal template". Please HELP! I seem to be losing important work content. I am using a Mac Air and use Word for Mac,

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your computer? And what version of Word are you using?

Let me check for you. It's a MacBook Air purchased 2 years ago. How do I find out the version of Word I'm using? I know that I use .docx

Technician's Assistant: When did you purchase your Apple? What troubleshooting have you tried?

I purchased my Apple around August/September 2015. When I tried to trouboleshoot, I got nowhere fast.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Microsoft Office Expert to know before I connect you?

I did update my Apple computer a couple of days ago to the latest, Mountain Lion, I think it's called, but I had no problems until today. Also, I see at the top right of my Desktop a new icon/picture that looks like a grey machine of some kind with the following beneath the graphic: a backward slash, then b b bv. Have never seen this before.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Microsoft Office
11/16/2017
Microsoft Office Technician: Jason Jones, Computer Technician replied 8 months ago
Jason Jones, Computer Technician

I look forward to helping you today.

If you create a new word document and save it, are you able to re-open it?

I will be standing by, looking forward to your response.
Thank you,
Jason

No, I cannot save anew .docx file. A message pops up saying the file name is invalid ( named it Today). Also, when I press save as, much of what appears on the screen is not ‘live’, if you get what I mean.

Thank you for the update. May I connect with you remotely to troubleshoot the issue directly? When the remote session begins, we will be able to communicate back and forth via a chat window that will appear on your computer screen.

No, but thank you.

Thank you. In such cases, more often than not, people prefer the remote option which is why I offered it.

What have you done in order to attempt to fix the problem? It sounds like the installation instance of Office is faulting. Have you tried reinstalling Office, yet?

No, I haven’t but perhaps I’ll try tomorrow. Right now I need to attend to my children. Thanks for your time.

Thank you. Please, do that and update me with the status of your problem when you have time.

- Jason