Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office questions? Ask an IT Expert for support ASAP

I need help with a VBA coding problem for a user form. Do…

Customer Question
I need help with...

I need help with a VBA coding problem for a user form. Do you answer these questions?

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer do you have?

Macbook Air. I'm using excel 2011

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

No

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Microsoft Office Expert to know before I connect you?

I have aa table that uses cascading drop down lists that work fine but I'm having trouble incorperating my method of selecting the dynamic list into the user form. Could i send you a stripped down example (spreadsheet) so you can see how i"ve accomplished it on the spread sheet?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Microsoft Office
11/15/2017
Microsoft Office Technician: The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager replied 8 months ago
The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager

Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is***** will do whatever I can to answer your question and will be back in a moment with my reply.

if you would send an example that would be helpful

I want a code that will use the (4) named ranges shown on the attached spread sheet

not entirely sure what you are trying to do where is the user form?

The user form will have (3) combo boxes , one each, for "Category", "Sub-category" & "Vendor". It will along with other inputs, add the info into a new line in a table. Remember what I sent was only a sample of how I created a dynamic list for cascading drop down boxes using (4) named ranges. These (4) named ranges are what I need help with in writing code. Every example I have seen wants me to have a complex list with all of the combinations to achieve what I have done with just my (4) named ranges.

well I would need a better example, i would need to see the userform and what you mean by having it added to a new table.

I would be most likely using arrays to do lists for combo boxes, I think the idea, is you choose 1 value in the first box then based on that selection, populate the 2nd box and so on. I would probably do that with arrays.

If you could send me a better example that shows the user form and what you mean by populate the table.

I think I see what you have done with the lists sheet, that shouldn't be hard to replicate into combo boxes, but yes the better example file with the user form would help

Hoow do I get back to you later. I need to go out now. I can give you the exact spresdsheet but when i tried to attach an .xlsm file your site would not accept it.

me to, its lunch time.

just bookmark this page and you can get back to me.

If you put the xlsm in a zip file that works. I do that all the time

Ok

havent heard back from you in a few days. Have you been able to get the xlsm into a zip file

I've been busy with something else but will send you a zip file of the actual xlsm (in a sample version).
Would like you to first enter data into the table as if there was no macro involved. Just so you can see how I want it to work when the input is done using the user form (in particular how I want to structure the dependent drop downs)

how ever you should like me to make it work, don't worry about actually programming it, but just provide some visual example of what you want it to look like, and how you want the data to be stored. Perhaps include some text description of what you want to have happen when things are done wioth it

See attached and please read Instructions. Especially those on tab "Explaination". - Thanks
Microsoft Office Technician: The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager replied 7 months ago

now im even more confused forget about the named ranges and formulas for the moment.

lets bottom line this

1. the entry form will be used to populate the sample sheet, and the entered data should goto the next available row on that sheet when the enter data button is clicked, yes or no?

2. to populate the drop downs by default when the form is opened it would be popluated by the categories list in column A of the lists sheet, yes or no?

3. Then box under that payee will be populated based on the selection from the category box by using the appropriate column on the lists sheet? Yes / No?

What else is to be populated by the program when the form is opened?

1. yes
2. yes
3.yes
Click the DATA ENTRY box to open the user form.
Fill in the boxes & you will see that nothing comes up in the Payee box. Finish the forn & click ENTER - CLOSE and you will see the new data iwll be added to a new row in the table.

so esentially the only code you need me to do is for filling in drop downs in the form when it is loaded

actually the only thing you need me to make work is the payee box, and that is based on the selection in the box aobve it,

right?

but it must be done using the named ranges ValData, Counter & UseList. I don't want to add other lists or add all the combinations to the VBA code.

depends on the named ranges, I may need to create a new named range to make it work, or may just use some sort of arrays, either way it will work.

I will need to charge an additional fee to do this

premium service offer sent, at a substantial discount from what I normally charge.