Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office questions? Ask an IT Expert for support ASAP

Im running the latest office with my mac book pro OS high…

Customer Question
Hi Im running the...

Hi Im running the latest office with my mac book pro OS high sierra 10.13.1 when I highlight a word in word it doesnt show the highlight

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the model of your Mac, and what operating system are you running?

I just told you

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

OS 10.13.1 - High sierra

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Microsoft Office
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/10/2017
Microsoft Office Technician: Jess M., Computer Support Specialist replied 5 months ago
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.
I am very sorry about your issues. Few things first:

1. What version of MS Office are you using? Is it 2013? 2016? or Office 365?
  2. Is the highlighting issues also happening in other programs like PowerPoint?

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.
Best regards,
Jess

Hi Im running microsoft for odffice 2017
my mac is an Mac book pro 2017 biught in July
OS high sierra 10.13.1Ive not tried it in another programme ap[art from word

Thank you for writing back with that information. Please try PowerPoint and see if highlighting is having problems there too.

It highjlihjting in power point

Have you checked if there are pending updates for your MS Office?

It is highlighting in power point so the problem is word
there are no uodates
no uodate pending

Ok. Please give me a moment to simulate the problem on my end.

well?
just to clarify when I drag the cursor across a word or a group of words there is no highlight , therefore I dont know if Ive selcted until I take the next action - is that clear?
can I have a response please

Yes, I understand. And I believe you know how to highlight since you can do the highlighting in PowerPoint.

but it doesnt work in word - this is my issue

I understand your issues. Please give me a moment to investigate.

Another way to highlight a word in MS Word is to double click on a word. Please give it a try (double click any word) and see if it is highlighted.

no double clicking doesnt work, also double clicking doesnt work on the laptop like ipad or phone
I dont know why this has changed.
I used to be able to drag across a word or area of text andf it would select it - thats what I want to do -
surely it just a button ?
I need to talk to someone now and the current guy is to slow
Microsoft Office Technician: bbao, IT Consultant replied 5 months ago
bbao
bbao, IT Consultant
Hello, this Is Bing to help here.
Long story short, is it an issue for all applications of macOS, or only a few even a single app?
Hello?
hello?
are you there?
Hello. I am back. It seems you were not fast as well hehe. Just kidding.
Okay, again, is it an issue application specific or OS wide?
ok, lets sort this?
do you understand the [roblem?
I don't know what it is, isn't that what you figure out?
As you tested and mentioned above with the previous expert, have you concluded the scope of this issue (when I highlight a word in word it doesnt show the highlight)?
Ok, again, The problem is that when I choose to highlight a word or text there is NO highlight. Usually I can run the cursor across a nd word or area of text and it highlights that area. This is not happening - is that clear?
what is the procedure?
> run the cursor across...
I guess you are referring to keyboard operation, or both with mouse operation?
Again, can you please confirm if it is an application specific (e.g. only happens in Office program) or OS wide for any applications?
I said it only happen in word
Okay thanks for your clarification. Please bear with me for a while to do a research against similar symptom for Word on Mac.
BTW, if you *double click* on a given word, can it be selected in Word?
Hello?
I guess your Office 2017 is actually referring to Office 365 or at least 2016, correct?
yer
Again, does double-click work to highlight a word?
However, please check below link to see if it is the exact same issue you have. Thanks.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mac/forum/macoffice2016-macword/bug-word-2016-for-mac-selected-text-will-not/3c97e106-3d63-4b4b-8607-3439f8d40a6d
no, for the las time it doesn't highlight - no matter what i do
I see. Please review the above big report on Microsoft site. Thanks.
dude do you have a solution?Im not an idiot i ave tried all the above.
again, Im running Mac OS High Sierra
Im running latest microsoft office for Mac
you know you know the problem, do you have a solve or should I just wait for you to do more research which
anyone can do
Please be paritent. It is clearly not an issue that every one has. I am using Mac computers as well, and I don't see the same issue on any Mac of mine.My thought is to first determine if it's a bug or a problem caused by your use or system. If it is a bug, then we have to wait or restore Office to its previous status if it was an issue in he beginning of your use.If it is not a bug, I have to further determine what was recently changed on your Mac and possibly caused the malfunction.Does it make sense?
this is really slow. Ive given you what I know . I think you need too get back to me as Im out of time
Okay I opt out for now, and let you see other experts for more opinions.Once I have figured out a workable solution and this question is still outstanding, I will come back and post my solution. Thanks for using JustAnswer.
Microsoft Office Technician: Jason Jones, Computer Technician replied 5 months ago
Jason Jones, Computer Technician

I look forward to helping you today.

May I connect with you remotely to troubleshoot the issue directly? When the remote session begins, we will be able to communicate back and forth via a chat window that will appear on your computer screen.

If you don't want me to remotely connect, that is okay too. Please, let me know how you wish to continue.

I will be standing by, looking forward to your response.

Thank you,
Jason

Jason Jones, Computer Technician