Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office Questions? Ask a IT Expert for Support ASAP

Microsoft Office

I have Microsoft Office 365. I have a worksheet with a lot

Customer Question
I have Microsoft Office...
I have Microsoft Office 365. I have a worksheet with a lot of formulas. It will no longer calculate new formulas. I would think there is a setting that will allow me to increase the maximum number of formulas in a worksheet but I cannot find it.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your computer? And what operating system are you running?
Customer: HP Pavilion purchased new one year ago. Operating system is Windows 10.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: An update to Windows was recently installed.
JA: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Microsoft Office
10/20/2017
Microsoft Office Technician: Bhavik Joshi, Computer Software Engineer replied 2 months ago
Bhavik Joshi
Bhavik Joshi, Computer Software Engineer

Hi, I'm Bhavik. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will reply back ASAP.

You may be running out of RAM, or hitting other limits, depending on how many other Worksheets are open, etc.See http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/excel-specifications-and-limits-HP010073849.aspx for limits on specs it doesn't indicate a set formula limit but you may be hitting one of the other ones

You need to check which limit out of those shown in above link you have reached and then try to decrease it. If possible please share your file with me so that I can also check more about it.

Sending my file.
With Microsoft Edge open to Just Answer and Microsoft Excel and the _Owls Nest Booth #104 open, Task Manager indicates I am only using 2.3 GB (33%) of the 6.9 GB of memory on my computer.
In Microsoft Excel, File, Options, Formulas, Calculation Options, I "enabled iterative calculation" and set the "maximum iterations" to 32,700. The maximum limit is 32,767. I saved the file, closed Excel, and restarted my computer. When I reopened the file, still no calculation.
Recalculate a worksheet or workbook manually by using keyboard shortcutsToPressRecalculate formulas that have changed since the last calculation, and formulas dependent on them, in all open workbooks. If a workbook is set for automatic recalculation, you do not need to press F9 for recalculation.F9Recalculate formulas that have changed since the last calculation, and formulas dependent on them, in the active worksheet.Shift+F9Recalculate all formulas in all open workbooks, regardless of whether they have changed since the last recalculation.Ctrl+Alt+F9Check dependent formulas, and then recalculate all formulas in all open workbooks, regardless of whether they have changed since the last recalculation.Ctrl+Shift+Alt+F9
Try this and let me know if it calculates after pressing above keys .
Click the File tab, click Options, and then click the Formulas category.Do the following:To recalculate all dependent formulas every time you make a change to a value, formula, or name, in the Calculation options section, under Workbook Calculation, click Automatic. This is the default calculation setting.
I did F9, Shift+F9, Ctrl+Alt+F9, and Ctrl+Shift+Alt+F9, the newly entered formulas did not enter a calculation result. The default calculation setting is set to Automatic. I have also verified that based on the referenced cells in the formulas there should be a numerical result. Have you looked at the file I sent? Look at cell CD209. This is where the problem starts.
Were the changes I made to the formula options settings, "enabled iterative calculation" and set the "maximum iterations" to 32,700, appropriate?
I don't think we should set this limit. I will look into your excel deeply and get back to you.
Can you give few examples and point me where to look at specifically so that I can check if after doing changes it is working ?
Look at cell CD209 in the worksheet file I sent. This is where the problem starts.
Ok. I will get back to you on this.

I am sorry for the delay. I looked into the formula of CD209 and on my computer it is showing expected results.. You can click on formula tab and click on Evaluate Formula button. It is showing expected result. I tried to copy formula of other cell into it and it calculating results correctly over there. I don't think the problem here is with the number of formulas you have used or any issue in exceeding the maximum limit.

I would recommend you to use default setting of excel ad do not set any external parameters.

The settings were the default settings when this began so I still I don't have an answer to this problem.
What does your computer have as the default settings for formulas?
No, I am not. The formula in CD209 was copied into the cells below CD209. The results was "-". The cell numerical format is "Accounting" therefore the "-" equals zero.

Click the File tab, click Options, and then click the Formulas category.

In the Calculation options section, under Workbook Calculation, click Automatic. This is the default calculation setting.

This is what I see in my computer. After copying formula of row 207 .

I do not want to see 0 (zero) in these cells. The "-" is correct based on the Accounting numerical format.
I figured out what is causing the formula to result in "-" (zero). The two date cells referenced in the formula (Fxxx and Gxxx) are correctly formatted for a date. However, even though the cells appear to be empty, apparently they are not. I highlighted cell F209, hit the Space Bar and then hit Enter. I did the same for cell G209. The result was the correct calculation of the formula. I have done this for all "blank" cells in column F and G. All formulas correctly calculated.
This discussion is over.

Yes right, Problem was not with the amount of formula's it was in the formula itself.

Bhavik Joshi
Bhavik Joshi