Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office questions? Ask an IT Expert for support ASAP

I am having issues with Mac users filtering the Excel 2016…

I am having issues...

I am having issues with Mac users filtering the Excel 2016 spreadsheet I send.

Technician's Assistant: What's the make and model of your computer? And what version of Excel are you using?

Excel version 1708 Computer is Dell Latitude 5480

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

Not since this spreadsheet was created. The issue is not on my Dell, it is an issue for all Mac users

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Microsoft Office Expert to know before I connect you?

Just looking for the fix to this issue. Hoping there is one. Thanks

10/19/2017
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.
I am very sorry about your issues. Few things first:

1. You created the Excel file in your Dell, and everything is OK. But all Mac users are having a problem?
  2. What exactly is the problem that Mac users encounter with your Excel file?

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.
Best regards,
Jess

1. Yes
2. The file has all the information when Mac users open the file. When Mac users try to filter a column, several items do not appear. Example: There are 160 "pen" colors in the file. When Mac users filter for "pens", only 1 pen color shows as a filtered
result

Thank you for writing back with that information. Can you please send me a dummy copy of your file so that I can check it from my end?

You can use the Add Files button or the paper clip icon to attach the sample or dummy file.

Here it is

Thank you, ***** ***** the file. So when doing a Filter for color 0000, 39 rows should be shown. Is that correct?

Correct. To be more specific, in the description column, filter for "plasite 4550". That is one of the specific issues found

Thank you. Please give me a moment.

I have checked and indeed this is an issue with Excel 2016 for Mac and the workaround provided by Microsoft does not apply. It only applies to filters done on a DATE column.

Please ask one of the Mac users to fetch an update for his/her Excel for Mac and see if the problem is resolved.

If I saved it under a different version on my end, would that resolve this issue? If not, what version of Excel would you recommend Mac users to download?

The problem is found to be in Excel 2016 for Mac. You can try saving it as an XLS format, but I do not know if there is a difference since it is reported to be a problem of Excel 2016 for Mac without regard to the file format (XLSX or XLS).

If your Mac users has option to use Excel 2013 for Mac or older, this issue is not happening.

If you have a user with Mac and running older version of Excel, please let him test your file. The problem should not be happening there since this current problem is only for Excel 2016 for Mac.

Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
This particular Mac user is using Excel 2011 with all of the current updates

Are you saying that you have Mac users with Excel 2011 and Excel 2016 for Mac, and they are all having this filtering issues?

No. The file I've sent to all users is from Microsoft 2016. One Mac user, who has excel 2011, is having the filter issues
I've sent the file in 2016 version, and in the compatible version

So the Mac users are all using Excel 2011? I understand that the file was created by Excel 2016 Windows version. I was with the impression that the users with this problem are using Excel 2016 for Mac. So are you saying that the users are Excel 2011 for Mac? or a combination of Excel 2011 and Excel 2016 Mac?

A single mac user (No others have come forward about having issues) who has excel 2011 on his mac is having the issue

Thank you for that confirmation. Please give me a moment to check this Excel 2011 issue on filtering. I will get back to you in a while.

Any update on this?

Thank you for writing back. First, please ask this Mac user of Excel 2011 to update his version of Excel. If his Excel is part of MS Office 2011 for Mac, the latest version that I can find is 14.5.6. Check out this link:

<< Office 2011 for Mac >>

If his Excel version is greater than 14.5.6, please disregard this update.

Another thing that he can try is using the Advanced Filter method. Open the Filter dialog box, select "contains" in the "choose one" drop-down box and then typed in the word or keyword you wish to filter by in the search box to the right of it, rather than in the box with the magnifying glass below.

Please let me know the results so that I can assist you further.

Best regards,

Jess