Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office questions? Ask an IT Expert for support ASAP

I have multiple CSV (or Excel) files with data. E.g.

Jan.xls, Feb.xls, ... Dec.xls. They...
I have multiple CSV (or Excel) files with data. E.g. Jan.xls, Feb.xls, ... Dec.xls. They all have the same type of data and they all have the same column headings. How can I combine multiple excel files (e.g. 12 separate files for Jan - Dec) into one excel file for the year (e.g. 2016.xls).Windows 10, Excel 2016
10/10/2017
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

You can do this by using the MOVE OR COPY command in your Excel. Here are the steps:

1. Open a new file and then save it as 2016 or something descriptive you want. DO NOT close that Excel file
  2. Now open ALL of the files that you want to copy or move.
  3. Work on the Jan.xls file (means activate the Jan.xls window). Make sure that the NAME of the sheet is unique. For instance, you can rename it to Jan2016. When done, right click on the sheet name, then click on "Move or copy..."
  4. In the Move or Copy dialog box, under TO selection box, click and select the file you created in Step 1. It could be the file named 2016.xls. (This is the reason why you need to keep that file open so that you can see it in the TO selection box).
  5. Then make sure to click to check the option that says "Create a copy" if you want to COPY the sheet to the file in Step 1 to consolidate them. But if you forget to check that option the sheet will be MOVED there.
  6. Then click the OK button
  7. A copy of the sheet will be moved to the file you created in Step 1.
  8. Do these steps to all Excel files you want to copy to the main and consolidated file.
  9. When done moving/copying the needed sheets, SAVE the file.

I hope that helped.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!

If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess

Great! Is there a macro that I can use to do this with a bunch of account information?

Unfortunately, there is not. But if you can build such macro, that is entirely possible.

Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Hmmm, I tried following the steps for making a copy - but I do not see the TO selection box.

Here is my screen shot:

http://filesxpress.com/d-8eafc988

thank you.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist