Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office questions? Ask an IT Expert for support ASAP

I have a website www.parametricfinance.com where I have

Customer Question
Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a website www.parametricfinance.com where I have embedded various excel based applications. I have done this using Javascript code obtained via Excel Online for workbooks stored on personal OneDrive (apparently the business version wouldn't permit this). See this article for the process i used: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Share-it-Embed-an-Excel-workbook-on-your-web-page-or-blog-from-OneDrive-804e1845-5662-487e-9b38-f96307144081?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US. This worked great until last week. I created a new Excel Workbook, followed the process above, but then found the Javascript tab was NOT there, only the Embed code for iframes. The problem with this is that i programmatically hide the taskbar (using Java code) that Microsoft automatically displays, which enables users to download the excel file (which i don't want). So my question is this: Has Microsoft done away with the Javascript option for embedding in html elements (in an effort to thwart efforts to hide their branding stuff)? If so, is there a way to obtain the fileToken so that the Excel online workbook can be accessed anyway?

Technician's Assistant: What programs and versions are you using?

Using the latest stuff: Office 365, premium/small business version. The website is Wordpress, Excel is presumably 2016?

Technician's Assistant: What is your ideal outcome? How can we solve this for you?

I want to be able to obtain the Javascript for my Excel workbook stored on OneDrive, as i had been able to previously.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the programmer to know before I connect you?

No i think that captures it.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Microsoft Office
I have added 3 pictures to demonstrate. In picture #1, you can see i have right-clicked on the file that i want to embed. The 3rd option from the bottom is 'Embed'. If I click it, will generate a code and give me the option to 'Customize how this embedded workbook will appear to others' - see right/bottom of picture #2. If i click on the 'Customize how this embedded workbook will appear to others' it will bring me to what is shown in picture #3. Down at the bottom, you will see "Embed code", which is just an iframe code. There used to be a Javascript option by clicking on a Javascript tab to the right of the Embed code tab. If you go to the link that i provided in the original question, you will see what i mean (in the last picture at the bottom of the webpage). That Javascript option does not appear to me now, but i need to obtain the Javascript code for the customized appearance, so that i can embed the appropriate content on the website. Help.
10/4/2017
Microsoft Office Technician: caraleneK, Office Engineer replied 8 months ago
caraleneK
caraleneK, Office Engineer

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.

in OneDrive, right-click the workbook, and then click Embed. Please see if you have this option or can I log on to have a look at this problem for you.

First, stored your workbook in OneDrive Then, copy the embed code:

In OneDrive, right-click the workbook, and then click Embed

Click Generate, and then click Customize how this embedded workbook will appear to others.

In the What to show box, click what you want to show in your blog. Show the entire workbook, or show a chart, a named range, PivotTable, or table. For information about named ranges and named items in Excel

In the Appearance section, check the boxes for the options you want

Waiting for your feedback or a rating.

Hi Caralene, that did not solve my problem. Everything you described, I already have done and knew how to do, as you can see from the content of my questions and the pictures i uploaded for each step. What i need you to tell me is how to access that Javascript option (typically accessed by clicking on a 'Javascript' tab to the right of the 'Embed code' tab). This code is found at the bottom of everything you reference. If you go see my pictures and/or try it out on your own, you will see that the 'Javascript' option does not appear. This is what i need help accessing. Thanks.

Thanks a lot for this info. This look like a problem with Microsoft.

Please tested your own workbook by logging in to my Microsoft OneDrive account (i.e. the Microsoft account that is separate from O365 for business. I accessed OneDrive by going through onedrive.live.com, and not office.com). When you uploaded your Excel workbook to onedrive.live, selecting the workbook and see if it brings up an embed code icon.

Waiting for your feedback

Thanks I sure you know this I just need to confirm.

To work programmatically with an embedded workbook, you must do two things: store the Excel workbook on OneDrive; and insert ECMAScript (JavaScript, JScript) code into the web page to programmatically embed the workbook.

Store the workbook on OneDrive Before you can embed a workbook on your web page the workbook must be available to view publicly. The workbook must be shared to the public from OneDrive.To display and programmatically work with the workbook on a host web page, you must create and insert embed code into the HTML of the host web page. The embed code defines a <div> element, includes a reference to the Excel ServicesECMAScript (JavaScript, JScript) library, specifies the workbook (or chart, named object, or range) to embed within the <div> element, specifies various options for the display and interactivity of the workbook, and then embeds the workbook.I know Microsoft done changes.

Waiting for your feedback

I believe that I have done all that you describe. I have been able to do this successfully up until this week. You can see on www.parametricfinance.com an example of javascript in an HTML element on the webpage. Today, we are simply trying to follow the exact same process again, but we are not able to get the Javascript code to the OneDrive file. Do you want me to attach a txt file of the Javascript that is in the website?

Yes please attach a txt file. Also look at this plz

After you've set sharing to "Everyone", click "Get link." The link that I get looks something like this: "https://hostprovidername-my.sharepoint.com/personal/myname/....guestaccess.aspx?docid=23kj4hkjbs876...&authkey=SIdslbxxoIL2jd8s"

Switch out "guestaccess" with "WopiFrame", and try the embed again. It should be available to the public now and parameters will work.

There's a different docid that is generated if you get the pre-generated embed code. It defaults to WopiFrame.aspx, but the query after it will look like this: "WopiFrame.aspx?sourcedoc={3jf890d-0s9d-298d-d9x0-9d9s87c7shdf}" This will not allow public access without signing in.

Here is the Javascript. I have never had to do anything that you describe. Has something changed?

Yes I see a lots of people complain about the same problem. Let me look at this.

Everything look good from your txt.Also just have a look at this setup please

https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/designers/blog/2015/04/28/embedding-onedrive-documents-in-canvas

Have you done updates in the last week ???

I do not understand any of this:
"After you've set sharing to "Everyone", click "Get link." The link that I get looks something like this: "https://hostprovidername-my.sh…....guestaccess.aspx?docid=23kj4hkjbs876...&authkey=SIdslbxxoIL2jd8s"Switch out "guestaccess" with "WopiFrame", and try the embed again. It should be available to the public now and parameters will work.There's a different docid that is generated if you get the pre-generated embed code. It defaults to WopiFrame.aspx, but the query after it will look like this: "WopiFrame.aspx?sourcedoc={3jf890d-0s9d-298d-d9x0-9d9s87c7shdf}" This will not allow public access without signing in."I went to you canvas link. I have seen that path to getting a html code. but not that it is an iframe, not javascript.I don't feel like i'm making any progress at all.
I don't know how to set the sharing to "Everyone" can you explain? I don't see that setting anywhere. LIke i have said, these files, i could get javascript for them until this week, i have changed nothing.

sorry I just need to confirm all this I sure you done it all but something changes.

I will opt out let see if somebody ells can assist

ok, am i now waiting for another expert to take over?
Microsoft Office Technician: George Sibiya, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 8 months ago
George Sibiya
George Sibiya, Computer Hardware Engineer

Welcome to JustAnswer and thank you for utilising our services

From your discussion above it appears some unannounced changes might have occurred.

I'll just do a quick investigation to see if there cannot be a workaround to your issue

Regards,

G

ok, how long do you think it will take?

Alright, there appears to be no word about it but the Java Script tab is definitely no longer there

Please check the following, its from a while back but it might still work and you would still have full control of the JS code:

http://www.jkp-ads.com/Articles/embeddedexcel02.asp?AllComments=True

The following line of javascript is the connection to the spreadsheet: "var fileToken = "SDD4FC11B4649848DA!1665/-3099582977058256678/t=0&s=0&v=!ADUXSY2dVhYQPdI";"After the last "=!" appears to be a unique reference code/number. Where can i find it? The above link no longer works.
Basically,how does one find the fileToken to enter into a javascript code for the HTML element to accdess the Excel online workbook?
also, interestingly, as the page loads that allows customization and the embed code, you can momentarily see the Javascript tab pop up before it disappears. If you refresh the page, you can again see the Javascript tab. But it does not stay and provide the code.
Do you have a line into Microsoft to find out what happened to the JavaScript tab shown in:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh315812.aspx?

There appears to be an error on the site when opening the embed dialog, please attached.

Issues can be reported on the forum here: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-us/home

Under normal circumstances, the token can be seen on the JavaScript code which we cannot see at the moment.

There is just a lot of information on how to use the token but how to obtain it.

I'll update you when I come across new info on this issue.