Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office questions? Ask an IT Expert for support ASAP

Bbao, since you help me install outlook, I continue to have…

Customer Question
hello Bbao, since you help...
hello Bbao, since you help me install outlook, I continue to have problem with my search function. it works on some words but not on others.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Microsoft Office
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/4/2017
Microsoft Office Technician: bbao, IT Consultant replied 7 months ago
bbao
bbao, IT Consultant
Thanks for reqestibg my service. Can you please give a few keyword examples showing which of them are searchable or not?
1. when i am in inbox, the emails from sent will not be searched.
2. when i search a word sometimes, even though it is in some emails, the result shows "no results"
3. sometimes when i search a word, only some of the emails with the word is found, not all.
1. That's by design. If you want to search agasint Sent folder or All folders, you should specify the targets explicitly.2. If you can see the emails in Outlook but it cannot be found in the search result, it should be an indexing issue. If the emails can be found via web only, that means by design as Outlook does not have the emails at all.
3. If the other emails are in a different folder, that's normal, as mentioned in point 1.
from your description, I think most likely it is an indexing issue, although I thought we did the indexing already last time. Because i search for a word, some of the emails are found. but i know I received other emails which did not show up in the search results.
For some reasons, including improper management against emails and their profile files, may cause indexing issues again.
Please test and confirm if you can see a related email in the SAME folder of Outlook (NOT across folders or via web), can your search show the email? If it can't, it should be indexing issue, otherwise it is by design.
it can't. i think it is indexing issue.
If you prefer doing fix it yourself, please check the following Microsoft KB article.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/2741535/outlook-for-mac-search-returns-no-results--and-task-items-are-not-disp
which part should I do to fix my problem. should I just follow the instructions to reindex. there are a few sets of instructions in the link.
Spotlight Search indexing is incomplete or index is corrupted.
to confirm, i should follow these instructions (#6) to re-index, right?6. If the issue is still unresolved, the Spotlight index may be corrupted. To reindex the Spotlight index, follow these steps:
Restart the Mac, so that it restarts the Spotlight services.
Navigate to Finder > Applications > Utilities > Terminal.
Type mdimport -L.
Important: If you see more than one instance of "Microsoft Outlook Spotlight Importer.mdimporter," delete the Outlook application that you are not using, empty it from the Trash, restart your Mac, and go back to step 1.
In the Terminal, reindex your Outlook database by using the following command and substituting your own user name for the <user_name> placeholder:mdimport -g "/Applications/Microsoft Outlook.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/Microsoft Outlook Spotlight Importer.mdimporter" -d1 “/Users/<user_name>/Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/Outlook/Outlook 15 Profiles/<my_profile_name>”Note In this command, the path after "-g" is the default path of the Outlook installation. The path after "-d1" is the default path of your profile, where <my_profile_name> is, by default “Main Profile." You'll have to substitute your actual paths if you have renamed your profile or installed Outlook in a different location.
Reindexing will take some time to complete. After the process is complete, exit and then restart Outlook.
If you still cannot search in Spotlight after you follow these steps, and if you have allowed for enough time for Spotlight Indexing to be completed, you may have to uninstall Office for Mac and reinstall it. For more information about how to do this, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

Correct, that's right part of the instructions.

ok. i think i can handle it.
what keys do I hit again to Restart the Mac, so that it restarts the Spotlight services.
FYI - Control–Command–Power button to force your Mac to restart.https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT201236
bbao
bbao
bbao, IT Consultant