Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office questions? Ask an IT Expert for support ASAP

I'm preparing an invitation in word. I am using a border…

Customer Question
I'm preparing an invitation...

I'm preparing an invitation in word. I am using a border from the clip art. I added a text box to type in the details of the invite. However, when I print it, only the border shows and not the text. What is causing this?

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer do you have?

Dell desktop

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

No

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Microsoft Office Expert to know before I connect you?

That's it

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Microsoft Office
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/23/2017
Microsoft Office Technician: Russell H., Computer Systems Expert replied 9 months ago
Russell H., Computer Systems Expert

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Borders show up and text shows up according to abstruse and various factors.

I can advise you if I know more about the document:

- what color is the text?

- what color is the border?

- what paper stock are you printing upon?

If you wish I can try remotely connecting to your computer - with your approval only - and see to getting a way worked out through this problem, for a small additional fee.

If you would rather not, then I can also instruct you toward a solution, somewhat more slowly.

Let me know which approach you would prefer, and I will help you as needed.

please instruct me to a solution
I do not want you to secure remote assistance. Please instruct me to a solution. I don't want to spend any more money.

That's OK.

- what color is the text?

- what color is the border?

The color of text is blue, the border is multi color and the paper is basic 20 lb computer paper

What make of printer is it, Canon, Dell, HP, Epson, or something else, please?

HP Photosmart

OK, the procedure to try varies from model to model, so what model of Photosmart is it please? with that info I will advise you further.

D110

Here's another question: you had a border from clip art. Then you added a text box, put in blue text, correct?

Did you make the center of the border (assuming it was all one border image, not four border images fitting together to make a four-sided border) ... transparent? if not, if still 'opaque', you may have a condition where the center is simply not shown.

Try going to File

Print Preview

and see if the blue text shows up in the Print Preview - if not, the problem is not the printer, but the settings for the clip art and/or other settings for the document, or the like.

Let me know what Print Preview shows... there are other paths to a solution also.

Only the border shows, the text does not

In the Print Preview?

Then you are printing in full color? or not? check that you are not in some black-and-white or grayscale mode, please.

Then, try this means of making the 'center' area of the clip art transparent:

Click the picture that you want to create transparent areas in.

Under Picture Tools, on the Format tab, in the Adjust group, click Recolor.

Click Set Transparent Color, and then click the color in the picture or image that you want to make transparent.

You might have to add the text box in again, or it may pop into view in the Print Preview. If it shows up in Print Preview, it should print. Let me know how it goes, please.

I'm not seeing the adjust group - I'm not seeing it in the format tab

What version of MS Word do you have?

And did you get the clip art border from MS Word built-in / included clip art, or somewhere else?

I think its a 7. I'm using the border from MS Word built-in

Go to Help.

Then to About Microsoft Word.

What year-version shows up there, please?

its Microsoft 2007
I need to leave. Please send the solution and I'll get back on line. Thanks!

Try clicking on the picture in the Clip Art collection, not on the picture as added into the document. (You may have to remove the Clip Art border from the document, then add the clip art border in again after rendering its interior color transparent.)

Under Picture Tools, on the Format tab, click Recolor.

Does that, when the opaque clip art border is removed from the document, and the newly transparency-changed clip art border is added into the document, produce in

File

Print Preview,

a good image with blue text too?

Sorry, but it is not working. There's got to be an easy way to create documents that contain text boxes and clip art.
I will look elsewhere for an solution. Thanks anyway!

OK. Thank you for trying JustAnswer. I'm sure I could have helped you with a Secure Remote connection, and am still willing to try that for a very small additional fee, like $8 more... the minimum price I could get the system to accept.