Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office questions? Ask an IT Expert for support ASAP

In excel I built a searchable drop down with a combo box and…

Customer Question
In excel I built...

In excel I built a searchable drop down with a combo box and VB code; but, it works for only 1 row. I need the same drop down for 400 rows. Any ideas?

Technician's Assistant: What's the make and model of your computer? And what version of Excel are you using?

Excel 2016, Dell OptiPlex 7020

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

No

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Microsoft Office Expert to know before I connect you?

I think that is everything

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Microsoft Office
9/19/2017
Microsoft Office Technician: The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager replied 8 months ago
The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager

Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is***** will do whatever I can to answer your question and will be back in a moment with my reply.

if you can send an example that would be helpful

I have assets that need a department assigned to them. The searchable drop down is for the department. It works well for 1 row in the spreadsheet. I have 441 assets that need a department assigned. Do I need multiple drop-downs? can a combo box be copied down the spreadsheet?
I tried to send the .xlsm spreadsheet but the message displayed - we can't read that file.

i think you need to zip it first then send a zip file

Ok, I zipped the spreadsheet.

so basically you want to take the box in column A and copy it for a number of rows, but the values will always be the same on each row correct?

column A has the "searchable" drop down list. You may click developer and see the VB code. The problem is I can only create 1 "searchable" drop-down list. I will need enough "searchable" drop-down lists for 400 serial numbers for 400 assets. How can this be done?
I realize a simple drop down may be pulled down 400 columns (you use the scroll bar to select a location/department.) I must have a "Searchable" drop-down list for 400 rows.

why does it need to be searchable? Where are the values from the list comming from? If you pull the values out of a column within the sheet, that column is searchable anyway.

The locations listed in column L8 - L270 are the locations that should be listed in the drop down. My boss wants the drops down to be searchable because it is faster a process. She does not want to use the scroll bar because it takes too long...
The drop down is not automatically 'searchable'; you have to add VB code in the combo box to make it "searchable". However, this works for only 1 row.
You are welcome to call me at(###) ###-####

you know that the best way to create a drop down is data validation list. Those can be copied and pasted, and the value once selected becomes searchable as are the values in L8 - L270 by going to search find & select.

I know how to create a drop down validation list. Please send instructions for how
"the value once selected becomes searchable as are the values in L8 - L270 by going to search find & select."
Does this involve a combo box and VB code?
I am trying this...I created a drop down with Data, Data validation by LIST on L8 - L270. I cannot type in the drop down to select Locations in column L...Are you referring to HOME, Find & Select? That does not "autopopulate".

i see you are trying to type a value into a box and have the list populate as you type

you said search and this is very different

the drop down is 'searchable' or 'auto populating'
Exectly! Thebuse type a value into a box and have the list populate as you type

i have never seen something like this work reliably in excel, no matter what type of listbox is being used

what about a macro or running a form?
Well if there is anyone who can help me write a macro or excel form, I'll be glad to pay them.

let me try a few things and get back to you.

Microsoft Office Technician: bbao, IT Consultant replied 8 months ago
bbao
bbao, IT Consultant

Basically, do you mean you want to make the cells from A8 to A168 searchable against values from L8 to L270?

that is correct the 400 cells in column A will each read the drop down list in L8 to L270
If you can help me please let me know I'll be glad to pay you. Perhaps a form would work. Or perhaps a macro would work.

It should work without a macro.

It seems your have enabled macro for your workbook.

I am reviewing and creating an example for you.

please do, I'll be glad to pay you for your time.

Thanks.

Please see attached the demo workbook and let me know if the dropdown list from C4 to C18 is what you are after. Thanks.

Ok I'll take a look. Thank you

Can you please also let me know why you created the spreadsheet in XLSM format (macro format)? Just for the dropdown list?

I'm in Atlanta Georgia so I won't be in front of a PC again until tomorrow morning at 7 AM Eastern standard time.I found an example on the internet with a macro and tried it. The macro works for 1 row. However, I'm going to have 441 assets that have unique serial numbers. Each serial number will have a location selected from the drop-down menu. So it would take me weeks to make for 441 drop downs. For example
serial number 1 will go to location the CDBG. Serial number 2 will go to location Cobb works. Serial number 3 will go to sheriff.I'm trying to make the location a selection in a drop-down list. Did you see the example I emailed earlier today to 'The PC Guy'?
My boss did not want to scroll down through the 262 choices of locations in a drop down list. The drop-down had to be "searchable" or " auto populating".

Did you check my demo workbook? Is it something "searchable" or " auto populating" for C4 to C18?

http://f01.justanswer.com.s3.amazonaws.com/NdIRjHci/Template_-_PC_Replacement_spreadsheet_2016_Autocomplete_with_VBA_code_works_9-19-17_-_Copy.zipI'll try to send the z
I'm sorry I'm not at work in front of a PC where I can access excel. I'm at home in Atlanta Georgia. I'll check it at 7 AM in the morning Eastern standard time.

I already have the ZIP file you shared here, which contains your XLSM file.

Please take your time to review my demo file, and let me know if it is something "searchable" or "auto populating" per your boss requirement.

Hello Bbao, I looked at the drop down you sent last night. You are correct that is 15 rows with a drop down. However, the manager does not want to scroll through 262 choices. A drop down is needed that is 'enterable' or 'searchable'. I ned to be able to type in the drop down cell. This is why I used VB code and a combo box so I could type my selections in the Drop down cell to narrow my search of the 262 choices. However, I could only get it to work for 1 row. I have 400 serial numbers that all need a unique location assigned to them. SO I began looking on the internet for other solutions/help and discovered this website.
I lost the internet connection in my PC at work. Please resend. Currently I am messaging you on my iPhone 7plus
Oh I am back on the site
that is exactly the web site tutorial I tried and the "autocomplete" drop down works great for 1 row. However, I must have a drop down for 400 rows of Serial Numbers. Would you like me to send the spreadsheet I created from this tutorial?
Ok, here is the zip file
Let me check

Also check the YouTube video here.

I have been trying the code ion contextures.com all day. The combo box does not work yet...
the drop down in the photo only works for 1 row
Were you able to get it to work?
I downloaded the sample spreadsheet from the tutorial-It works for 7 rows. However if you type in T and expect to see Tuesday or Thursday an error message appears: This value doesn't match the data validation restrictions defined for his cell.

The message just means the given string value is not listed in the range of Location IDs.

Did you give the correct range in ListFillRange? Please check HERE for the explanation and the screenshot of Combox Properties.

BTW, to be honest, I guess you are probably making a simple thing complicated. :)

As you know, Data Validation doesn't support AutoComplete due to design limitation, but AutoComplete is allowed and enabled by default for inputting values in the same column. Therefore, why don't you simply move those Location IDs from column L to the bottom of column A, say from L8 to L270 to A288 to A560? Of course, you need to remove Data Validation previously applied to A8 to A270. The the input filed and reference source are in the same column, AutoComplete will be working by default. BTW, you need to fill something like "=" between input area (A8 - A270) and reference area (A288 - A560) as blank may stop AutoComplete finding the reference.

Let me try this; we may have to speak directly on my cell(###) ###-####

As per the site's rule, phone call belongs to premium services and needs to be offered and paid extra on top of this Q&A page. However, I may offer you my best rate for the call at $10 USD. If you agree, I can send you the offer. Thanks.

bbao
bbao
bbao, IT Consultant