Richard, Software Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

I saved over a word document by mistake, and need to go back

Customer Question

hi, I saved over a word document by mistake, and need to go back to the document from yesterday, I use Mac with OS Sierra ....
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your computer? And what version of Word are you using?
Customer: MacBookPro from Apple, OS Sierra
JA: When did you purchase your Apple? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: a year ago, tried to go to File, Restore. but it was blank
JA: Anything else you want the Microsoft Office Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 30 days ago.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Richard replied 30 days ago.

Hi there and welcome

Can you tell me if you have an Apple Time Machine connected to the Mac and enabled?

Please let me know

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
no time machine, I have back up on iCloud, but did not work, as the newly saved file (by mistake) is also saved-over in iCloud
Customer: replied 30 days ago.
there were payment made on my credit card from just answer for 5$ and again for 33$, why do I have to pay more?
Expert:  Richard replied 30 days ago.

yes that is correct.

Please do not shoot the messenger, but you wont be able to restore it sorry. If you deleted the file, then we can use a recovery program to restore it, but as you overwrote it, the file still exists but it is overwritten.

Without the option of time machine which versions the file and allows you to restore the previous version, you wont be able to recovery it sorry, I would advise you invest in a USB flash disk and enable timemachine on the mac to avoid this situation again.

The additional costs you are referring to is the additional service of connecting to your computer but in your situation this is not needed.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Expert:  Richard replied 30 days ago.

Was there anything else needed?